Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hayabusa engine upgrades?
deanspoors

posted on 4/9/15 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hayabusa engine upgrades?

Hi,

I currently own a Westfield Megabusa, self built, with an almost standard Hayabusa Pre 2007 engine. I'll be looking to upgrade the engine come winter and have around £3k to spend, what would you guys recommend spending the money on. I'm currently on the standard ecu and was thinking to spend around £1k on an MBE9A4 Ecu and loom, and the rest of the money on a 1400cc bore, cams, pistons, and ported head if the budget would allow.

Anyone else been in the same position with advice they could give?

Thanks,
Dean

daniel mason

posted on 4/9/15 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Are you dry sumped at the moment?
My opinion is start with the sbd dry sump kit and go form there!

[Edited on 4/9/15 by daniel mason]

deanspoors

posted on 4/9/15 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Daniel,

I currently have a Holeshot swinging arm pickup which seems to be doing a decent job, I will go for a dry sump in the future, but I'm not using slicks or tracking the car yet so not in a rush to change over.

daniel mason

posted on 4/9/15 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
It's a difficult one,as you can't maximise the busa in standard trim on public roads, and on road tyres! There would be so much more to gain with suspension and braking mods that a power hike is not really worth it.
Everyone wants more power but as soon as you get on track, the well set up cars with good suspension and brakes will run rings round an averagely setup busa with even 200+ horsepower
My advice would be;
Keep the motor standard for now,
Depending on make of damper- either get some made to spec or dyno and re-valve your current ones at procomp,
Get the spring rates optimised whilst your there,
Get a full geo setup and corner weights done,
Get the sbd dry sump kit on it,
Get a set of slicks
And go out and have some fun on circuit. (Blyton October 9th for £100)

If any money is left over then look at engine upgrades.

deanspoors

posted on 4/9/15 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply Daniel, I've already ordered some Procomp springs and dampers and plan on having the car corner weighted. The geo has just been done. The brakes are 4 Pot Wilwood and seem to stop really well. I've also bought a new pedal box with adjustable brake balance so I'm not neglecting the other points of the car. Right now, i'd just like a little extra straight line performance. I don't have a car trailer (mainly because the daily drive a C63 Coupe, doesn't have the option to fit a tow bar) so track days on slicks are out of the question at the moment.
daniel mason

posted on 5/9/15 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
Right then. A trip to procomp to get the dampers dyno'd and valved to suit as you won't have a matching pair which will imbalance the car.
Then the engine mods are vast. There's all sorts you can do. I had a bog standard gen1 1299 on carbs in my old radical. Not he best in a straight line with around 175bhp but it was set up well by Ian dayson at force racing cars in Staffordshire and out handled most things last season

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.