Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brighton Speed Trials
jeffw

posted on 7/9/15 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Brighton Speed Trials

I was able to compete at the Brighton Speed Trials on Saturday. Had a great day (even though it tried to rain on us) and managed to do a 11.46 sec run at 131.5 MPH which put me 10th overall in the car section.

Had a brief conversation with Mark Chandler who was running his lovely DB7.

If you get the chance to visit next year (3rd Sept) make you sure you do, some great cars/bikes and a great day out.

Results here

http://www.tsl-timing.com/file/?f=SPRINT/2015/153681bst.pdf

Simon

posted on 7/9/15 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
This year was my 35th consecutive year, and last. For spectators it has now become a joke - I'd share a fb thread but got banned after being possibly a bit ott in my view.

Always been a fave of mine - but so fed up with camera people standing in my way i was on my way home by 10 am

ATB

Simon

sdh2903

posted on 7/9/15 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
I was able to compete at the Brighton Speed Trials on Saturday. Had a great day (even though it tried to rain on us) and managed to do a 11.46 sec run at 131.5 MPH which put me 10th overall in the car section.

Had a brief conversation with Mark Chandler who was running his lovely DB7.

If you get the chance to visit next year (3rd Sept) make you sure you do, some great cars/bikes and a great day out.

Results here

http://www.tsl-timing.com/file/?f=SPRINT/2015/153681bst.pdf

What on earth did the guy in the audi 80 who came behind you in practice have under the bonnet?

[Edited on 7/9/15 by sdh2903]

jeffw

posted on 7/9/15 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't look by I would guess a 2.3 5 Pot Turbo tuned to an inch of its life....

Considering he did a 1.97 64ft with 11.30sec 1/4 at 131.5MPH my 2.36 64ft and then 11.46 @ 131.5MPH doesn't look too bad. That is 4WD for you...

[Edited on 7/9/15 by jeffw]

sdh2903

posted on 7/9/15 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Even with 4wd must be pushing some serious bhp numbers considering the extra weight etc
mark chandler

posted on 7/9/15 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Mucked up my start, to much spin off the line giving the 64' time of 3.03, usually I am 1/2 second quicker by then on sprints gave a overall quarter of a mile of 14.91, still not bad for a 21 year old car

Enjoyable day, next year I will take my little car.

Quite an eclectic mix of cars and bikes, the most astonishing to watch the lamberetta and Vespa.... 90cc 1/4 mile in 13.87. Wow!

jeffw

posted on 7/9/15 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
Even with 4wd must be pushing some serious bhp numbers considering the extra weight etc

The 2.2 5 Cyl can be tuned to over 700BHP. Keith Murray (Dialynx) has a Audi 80 Quattro he sprints which has a 1.4L engine...still 500BHP though.

Dopdog

posted on 7/9/15 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
This year was my 35th consecutive year, and last. For spectators it has now become a joke - I'd share a fb thread but got banned after being possibly a bit ott in my view.

Always been a fave of mine - but so fed up with camera people standing in my way i was on my way home by 10 am

ATB

Simon

Sounds like you had a good days drive with the car on a trailer?

jeffw

posted on 7/9/15 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
I'm lost now...

Dopdog

posted on 7/9/15 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
he was on his way home at 10am
jeffw

posted on 7/9/15 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
I think he was watching rather than competing...

mark chandler

posted on 7/9/15 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
When I looked up the railings did not look that crowded, plenty to see on ground level albeit you had to pay to enter
jeffw

posted on 8/9/15 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote

[Edited on 8/9/15 by jeffw]

Simon

posted on 8/9/15 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
In the good old days spectators could watch from the balcony but as the Brighton greens spent all the money on 20mph zones (oh the irony of having the world's oldest motor racing event) instead of restoring Victorian architecture that is no longer possible.

For the last couple of years we've watched from either side of start line which was ok if you got there early. This year it was sea side only, and they decided to put the officials (camera people) in front of us.

Maybe if the balcony gets the all clear it would be worth going again as there's always been a great mix of cars and bikes to watch.

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 8/9/15 by Simon]

jeffw

posted on 8/9/15 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
The landside viewing has been the victim of the balcony decline, although works seems to be going on to fix that. There did seem to be room further up on the seaside viewing area, at least as far as I could see driving back.

It would be a shame to miss next year, maybe an idea to speak to Brighton and Hove Motor Club regarding spectator areas?

Johneturbo

posted on 8/9/15 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
we were there, me in my mnr and a mate in his indy, managed to get parked on the pay display on the main road above, but only had enough change till 4pm so had to go early!

been a few times in the past and only watched from the balcony above before.

This time we got pit access, have to say though there was a chief marshal who was rather rude. sometimes I think the power goes to their heads!

Mark if I'd have known you were there I'd have said hello

mark chandler

posted on 8/9/15 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Little hope of them restoring the promanard when I was talking to some people, apart from the iron work it all needs pulling down and starting again as the concrete is cracking from the inside, £200,000,000 was the suggested figure
Dopdog

posted on 8/9/15 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Little hope of them restoring the promanard when I was talking to some people, apart from the iron work it all needs pulling down and starting again as the concrete is cracking from the inside, £200,000,000 was the suggested figure

Just knock it down and put a prefab up there, I bet that would please the greens. No asbestos in that

jeffw

posted on 8/9/15 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote

Very brief video from practise....

CNHSS1

posted on 8/9/15 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Feck me that looks rapid Jeff!!
Off topic, where did you get your rear arch extensions?

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

jeffw

posted on 9/9/15 at 05:14 AM Reply With Quote
Actually off Ebay. Steve at Fury Sportscars does them now as well.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.