Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: vw scandal
iank

posted on 23/9/15 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
Very naughty, and i am sure they are not alone. I am told this cant have happened in the EU as the testing is done on sample cars rather than those prepared by the oem. Either way, it is very worrying and will surely have repercussions globally....?

In this case it makes no difference as all the cars have the inbuilt "cheating" code so any example has the potential to do the trick. As the testers are probably plugged into the car CAN bus the ECU will be able spot a tester from the messages it sends onto the bus, no need to even do any kind of analysis of how the car is being driven. Probably 10 lines of code all in.

The real problem for someone at VW is that the software for the ECU, being a safety critical component, will likely have been developed using ISO26262 software development processes, so in every line of code should be traceable from the person who wrote it, right back to the person who defined the requirement and entered it into the database.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Irony

posted on 23/9/15 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
I am a simple person and I just don't understand this. How have they cheated? Surely when you test a car for emissions you put it on a rolling road and stick a probe up the exhaust????? The article in the above link said the car 'knew' it was being tested. How did it know that? If the testing process including putting the cars ECU into some sort of testing or diagnostic mode then the people who examine the cars are fools. If I knew how to do this I would have CERTAINLY done this on my IVA.

If this is the case then I suspect that all manufacturers of diesel cars will have done the same. They wouldn't have been able to compete with VW if they didn't.

craig1410

posted on 23/9/15 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
I think a lot of the blame should fall on the authorities.

Why? Because as with many things,

YOU GET WHAT YOU MEASURE!

It's just like managers who measure employee time at their desk rather than productivity, or governments who measure hospital waiting times instead of outcomes, or school league tables instead of real educational attainment. And of course, police who measure speed instead of driving standards.

Choose very carefully what you measure because that is what you will get and might not actually be what you want!

rusty nuts

posted on 23/9/15 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
If only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen , who says the Germans don't have a sense of humour?
trextr7monkey

posted on 23/9/15 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
I think a lot of the blame should fall on the authorities.

Why? Because as with many things,

YOU GET WHAT YOU MEASURE!

It's just like managers who measure employee time at their desk rather than productivity, or governments who measure hospital waiting times instead of outcomes, or school league tables instead of real educational attainment. And of course, police who measure speed instead of driving standards.

Choose very carefully what you measure because that is what you will get and might not actually be what you want!

Exactly! I was discussing this last night with my wife and it all seems to be back to give someone a hoop to jump through in any field of human activity and humans being humans they will do it, one way or another !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

britishtrident

posted on 23/9/15 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
In the US a lot of the testing via the OBD II I/M Readiness Monitors.
Basically they depend on the cars ecu self-testing.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 23/9/15 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
If only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen , who says the Germans don't have a sense of humour?

In words of Alan Price
"Everyone most go through changes"
"No one knows what's going on"

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

David Jenkins

posted on 25/9/15 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Found this on Reddit yesterday...

nero1701

posted on 25/9/15 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
there goes me getting an R32...wife is all green and hippy...this has blown it!
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.