Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GRP advice needed
CC Cyclone

posted on 28/9/15 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
GRP advice needed

Evening chaps.

I have a panel that is curved in one direction that has a hole in it from impact, rectangular in shape about 6inches x 9inches. I don't have any of the bits unfortunately.

So I need to lay up from the back? My question is, I presume I make a 'shutter' on the front face, lay up from the back and then start filling & prep. What do I make the shutter or formwork from? Aluminim strip? Anything more straightforward?

Also it has been a long time since I did grp, it will be painted finish, anyone care to suggest correct materials and process for the job - I will watch online tutorials again, but would be good to get a pointer before I watch ten things that all tell me something different!

Thanks.

bi22le

posted on 28/9/15 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Duct tape. If it is on the curve it will cut the corner potentially enough to allow you to use filler to finish.

I have done no more GRP work than reinforcement and rattle cans. I am not a body shop pro!!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

avagolen

posted on 28/9/15 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, I am no expert by any means, (in anything ) but the GRP work I have done on my car
has not been toooooo bad.

If you want to make a very flexible former to work against, why not do it in GRP?

If you get two pieces of flat material (old worktop, cupboard doors, shelves etc), place a piece of baking
parchment on the lower former and then lay a single sheet of glass and resin on it.
Place another sheet of baking parchment on top and place the second piece of smooth material on it.
Place a weight on top and leave for 24 hours. There will be leakage as the excess resin oozes out.

Once the GRP has cured, remove all weights etc and peel off the baking parchment.
Silicone baking parchment works well - look what's in the kitchen... if you dare

You now have a sheet of fibreglass that you can cut/bend into any shape/size.

This can be taped over the hole and if you want to remove it after the repair has been done,
polish it and cover in release agent as required. If not, leave it raw and rough the surface with 80 grit
and wipe with acetone. It will then bond with the new GRP that you lay up on it.

Have fun.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

PorkChop

posted on 28/9/15 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Depending on how severe the curve is, I remember uPVC/PVCu being suggested as a good former material. Should be flexible enough for most needs.
Angel Acevedo

posted on 29/9/15 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe cut a polythene (sp?) paint bucket.
Resin won´t adhere to plythene.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 29/9/15 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Duct tape is not good for doing GRP, it wrinkles big style and is affected by the heat of the curing giving a very very rough finish.

Fortunately for me this was on the inside and actually looked quite good

[Edited on 29/9/15 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CC Cyclone

posted on 30/9/15 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, really useful. I am advised that parcel tape is the thing to use as the polyester won't stick to it.
I'm thinking that if I lay up some sheet to be a bit flexible as suggested, I could then try and support into into the shape of the hole, glass the back and then fill the top surface. Will do some experiments and see where we get to.

Who do you guys use for materials these days, still East coast?

avagolen

posted on 30/9/15 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Yes for Eastcoast.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

smart51

posted on 30/9/15 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CC CycloneI am advised that parcel tape is the thing to use as the polyester won't stick to it.

Yup. Sellotape works equally. Get the wide stuff, like parcel tape but without the brown goo.

You could use a piece of cereal box with tape over it to make it resin proof. Tape it to the outside of your hole and fibreglass the inside.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.