Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Shortened Fan Belts
l5tuy

posted on 29/9/15 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Shortened Fan Belts

Afternoon All,

Just a quick post really to ask the question, where's best to get shortened drive belts? It seems obvious but i'm struggling.

I'm away to build a MX5 based kit and have removed power steering, air-con etc but as a result i need a new belt.

Any help appreciated.

Stuart

MsD

posted on 29/9/15 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
I used a piece of string for a template and went to my local motor factors and measured up there belts, found the nearest one to the template and job was a good un!
I'm not sure if Halfords do fan belts these days but it might be a good place to start.

Mark.

Benzine

posted on 29/9/15 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
I cut down old belts to size (I found string to be too inaccurate). Lay flat and measure and/or take them to a local motor factors
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slater

posted on 29/9/15 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Stuart
See my reply in this post.

Link to thread

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

Smoking Frog

posted on 29/9/15 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
For the alternator?
This is what I used on mine (mx5 1.6 engine).
Goodyear 13AV0875 (13 x 875) A common cogged belt, fits Mazda 323 fwd 1.7 diesel 1986 – 89 and many more.
It was tight fitting as adjustment bracket was at the minimum setting, but once on belt tension was OK. This gave good clearance for the steering shaft.

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/9/15 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
I cut down old belts to size (I found string to be too inaccurate). Lay flat and measure and/or take them to a local motor factors

Yeah this is by far the best way, I've tried string and tie wraps which were totally useless and not even close

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
garyo

posted on 29/9/15 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
As above they're all pretty much the same thing shared between the various manufacturers. You just need to work out the length. So a part number 7PK1270 will be '7 Peaks 1270mm length'
rdodger

posted on 29/9/15 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by l5tuy
Afternoon All,

Just a quick post really to ask the question, where's best to get shortened drive belts? It seems obvious but i'm struggling.

I'm away to build a MX5 based kit and have removed power steering, air-con etc but as a result i need a new belt.

Any help appreciated.

Stuart

I thought the alternator belt was separate to the power steering and ac?

[Edited on 29/9/15 by rdodger]

scott h

posted on 29/9/15 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. I set the alternator half way on the adjuster and wrapped a tape measure around the pulleys to get the length then searched Ebay.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.