Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Emissions Scandel gets deeper
Mr Whippy

posted on 29/9/15 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Emissions Scandel gets deeper

Amazing reading about this, I wonder where it will stop looks like the UK is even investigating with views of charging back tax benefits. I’m just wondering if I should sell the family Cmax and get a petrol car in case the value of diesels falls or road tax goes up. Not to mention all the hassle we’ve had with this car and it’s stupid engine faults. So glad I didn't fit a diesel to the landrover like everyone else rush off to do next they all be going back to petrol!

I wonder if this will this be the death of the diesel car after all the revelations about the harmful particulates etc even before this scandal? I mean they’re already banned in some area’s and that can only get worse now…

[Edited on 29/9/15 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
beaver34

posted on 29/9/15 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
i dont see it affecting the diesels as a whole just the vag group.

your Ford will be fine im sure.

chillis

posted on 29/9/15 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Doubt there will be many cars sold world wide that arn't affected, Most if not all OEM ecu's are equipt with defeat strategys and have been since the begining its just who has made use of them. But then the emissions tests required were always going to lead to this. That said the US are making a big thing about it being a non Us company thats cheating but their home companies do it too so it wouldn't have anything to do with VW having a 22% share of the US car market would it?

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

nick205

posted on 29/9/15 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
If VW have cheated then so will most of the rest of the makers!

Irony

posted on 29/9/15 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
If VW have cheated then so will most of the rest of the makers!

Agree - other companies wouldn't be able to compete otherwise.

mark chandler

posted on 29/9/15 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Cannot see them jumping up car tax classes on sold cars, would be concerned if I was awaiting delivery of a new car.
Simon

posted on 29/9/15 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
The government will just fine them for the difference in tax, hopefully my a multiple as a disincentive to do it again.

ATB

Simon

steve m

posted on 29/9/15 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Diesels are still the best for towing.
there isn't a petrol car that will tow my caravan, or a car trailer easily, without being in the 20-25 mpg, at best

my Tdci Mondeo, still averages 43 + towing, and normally averages 45 +

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

mark chandler

posted on 29/9/15 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
I love my V70 D5 Volvo, it's fast, quiet and does 45mpg, let's hope they do not screw us on fuel or everything goes up!
morcus

posted on 29/9/15 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
We all know emissions test are a con and they've all been cheating but how this effects other companies will depend on how they were doing it.

As I understand it most get around the test by having dips in the mapping at the points it sits on the test cycle and VW was going a step further and the test was run with a completely different map (Where the others are using the test set map on the road and driving outside of the dips). The News suggested that in America the claimed VW emissions were significantly better than other US diesels (And said those companies may be able to sue VW for competing unfairly).

I believe that when the tax system changes in 2017 diesel will be less attractive and the balance will move more towards petrol again.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

hughpinder

posted on 30/9/15 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
I seem to remember there were some articles last year about manufacturers where the real life figures were a lot worse than the official ones for emissions, but I think it was vauxhal, kia and volvo that were named as the worst, so I expect they'll be named next.
Slimy38

posted on 30/9/15 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
I seem to remember there were some articles last year about manufacturers where the real life figures were a lot worse than the official ones for emissions, but I think it was vauxhal, kia and volvo that were named as the worst, so I expect they'll be named next.

Which? magazine do regular tests on emissions, I don't think there is one car that even came close to their official figures. The hybrids seem to come off worse, I suspect it's the same in that they are set up to test very well whereas in real life it turns into a regular car with a big heavy electric motor in tow.

Even the small engined turbo cars were partly created to avoid emissions tests, hence them doing really well. Stick a 1.6 engine in a car to keep emissions down, but then put a turbo on it to give it at least some top end. And just make sure the turbo doesn't kick in below the emissions testing!

DJT

posted on 30/9/15 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
I love my V70 D5 Volvo, it's fast, quiet and does 45mpg, let's hope they do not screw us on fuel or everything goes up!

Love mine too, but I can only get about 40mpg average and that is doing 80% of my miles at 50mph in the contraflow on cruise control. Local roads mid 30's and towing 1400kg caravan 25mpg.

Still, a great all-rounder, just not nearly as economical as my old 2.5D V70.

Anyway, back to emissions....

http://tigeravonbuilddiary.blogspot.com/

britishtrident

posted on 30/9/15 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
The problem is just too many diesel on the road in the UK and the rest of Europe most used for purposes that diesels aren't best suited for. In contrast in the USA they use huge petrol engines for purposes that would be better served by diesel.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

ken555

posted on 1/10/15 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Lets wait for the phone calls :- "have you been mis-sold a VW"

http://www.leighday.co.uk/Illness-and-injury/Defective-products-and-consumer-goods-Defective-pr/Faulty-consumer-products-and-consume r-law-claims/Volkswagen-recall

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 1/10/15 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Now VAG have owned up to all the Skodas and Seats that have had the dodgy software...

jeffw

posted on 1/10/15 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
At least my Lambo and the Veyron isn't effected

DW100

posted on 1/10/15 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Fancy cheating on a government type approvals test. That would be like passing an IVA then changing half the stuff on the car
adithorp

posted on 1/10/15 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
So, imagine you have an affected car and you get a recall notice saying you need to bring your car in. It'll get new softwear with the "cheat" bit of program perminently incorporated into the map so it runs cleaner all the time and not just when it thinks it's on a rolling road... but it'll probably not have as good power, responce and possibly fuel ecomomy.

Will you take it in?... or will you live with a bit of code in there that never does anything?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

David Jenkins

posted on 1/10/15 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
I think that there will be a class action where a large number of people take VW to court because their mpg is nowhere near what was advertised, after the update...

nick205

posted on 5/10/15 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Take VW to court...?

I'd love to see anyone really try that

Slimy38

posted on 5/10/15 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I think that there will be a class action where a large number of people take VW to court because their mpg is nowhere near what was advertised, after the update...

I think there could be a class action, but not necessarily for the MPG. If the 'update' does indeed leave cars in 'test mode' all the time (which is what I think will happen), they might meet the manufacturer MPG but they won't meet the 0-60 or top speed times.

And if I owned one of the affected cars, I wouldn't be taking it anywhere near a dealer!!

nick205

posted on 5/10/15 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Let's be honest 0-60 and top speeds are largely poppycock for tintops anyway. GPS top speed of my old Seat Leon was not what they said it was. It was fast, but no way as fast as Seat would like you to think! The MPG was not up to their standards either when it really came to it.

GeoffT

posted on 5/10/15 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

And if I owned one of the affected cars, I wouldn't be taking it anywhere near a dealer!!

...you have to wonder if "cheat software installed" won't become a plus selling point for used VW's soon....

INDY BIRD

posted on 5/10/15 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
how many people are running the same map they had for the sva or iva test? after it left the test centre?

not many but its still naughty of them to do this,

im sure more will be found going forward

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.