Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Keyless start options.
ash_hammond

posted on 30/9/15 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Keyless start options.

Guys

My kit runs a keyed ignition as the primary on/off, then the engine is started by a button and killed by turning the key off.

I'm would like to replace the key with some sort of proximity sensor, something like what Edd China did on Wheeler Dealers.

When the fob is near the car will run via the start button, once the fob is moved away the car stops and wont start via the button.

I tried to look on ebay for some ideas of kits but i cannot see any that fit by bill.

Have people done this before and locost ideas or parts solutions?

Cheers
Ash

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

SteveWalker

posted on 30/9/15 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
I think that the usual is a proximity device present for startup; button then starts the car; button stops car on next press (or a separate button for stop). Proximity device does not have to remain present once the car is started. I would hope that if you stalled, it'd give you 10 seconds or so to restart without the prox device too.

Not a prox device, but have you looked at Dallas/Maxim ibuttons? They have a dedicated receptacle for reading. It'd need a simple device (Microchip PIC maybe) to read the codes from the ibuttons and enable the start button.

DW100

posted on 30/9/15 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Rumour had it that some of the AA vans had a pick-up in the back of the drivers seat and the drivers had a dongle that was attached to the back of their belt.

There are lots of aftermarket immobilisers that use proximity sensors

Adam

posted on 30/9/15 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hot New Car Engine Push Start Button/RFID Engine Lock Keyless Entry Immobilizer

I have the above on mine. You use the start button to start then to stop the car. only works when the proximity sensor is activated.

Work well for me. Though obviously had to remove the steering lock as i don't use the key so not very IVA friendly.

Cheers

Adam

loggyboy

posted on 30/9/15 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
What sort of proximity are you looking for? If only cms there are few on market ive seen. Clifford virtual key was one but is out of production afaik now .(I have a new one in my box of bits to put on mine.! :p )
If you want longer than that (ie fob in bag or pocket) then I've only seen these on production cars. (Renault and volvo are 2 ive used, sure theres more). But wouldn't fanct dissecting the wiring to retro fit one of those!

Mistral Motorsport

Slimy38

posted on 30/9/15 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Harley used one that allowed the owner to just get on and ride off. Although it had a safety device that prevented the bike from being turned off due to the absence of a fob. If ever the fob was lost on the journey, the owner wouldn't find out until they had stopped and tried to start again...
rdodger

posted on 30/9/15 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/automobiles-trucks/push-button-start-automotive/pbs-tr/product

Not as cheap as the ebay Chinese one at $350!

ash_hammond

posted on 30/9/15 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adam
Hot New Car Engine Push Start Button/RFID Engine Lock Keyless Entry Immobilizer

I have the above on mine. You use the start button to start then to stop the car. only works when the proximity sensor is activated.

Work well for me. Though obviously had to remove the steering lock as i don't use the key so not very IVA friendly.

Cheers

Adam

This is exactly the idea i was thinking of. However, will need to look over the wiring diagram to see if i can make it work with my existing savage start switch. I don't want to replace that.

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 30/9/15 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
I use one that I bought from eBay cheap. Chinese thing. Came with two hobs that you keep one in your pocket.

I have an ignition rocker switch and savage start button

The immobiliser cut the fuel pump on the ecu side.

Kills the engine if I walk away from the car or get pulled out etc.

Gives an audible warning when sensor gets too far away.

[Edited on 30/9/15 by Ben_Copeland]

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

owelly

posted on 30/9/15 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a prox kit from Maplins a few years ago. It was £14 in the sale and came with one card. Additional cards were £30 each..... I used to keep the card in my back pocket and the reader was in an enclosure behind the drivers seat. I worked great until the card snapped.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 30/9/15 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
I am sure this subject come up a while back. Do some searching on here. I even typed up a guide on how to fit an immobiliser incase your not too electronics savvy.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.