Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electricians please help
johnH20

posted on 9/10/15 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Electricians please help

Spent a frustrating hour or so this afternoon trying to extract a couple of female spade terminals from the plastic multi block that fits on the back of my light switch. I have tried what I thought was the obvious - pushing down the little stand up tang on the spade terminal with a very small screwdriver while simultaneously pulling on the neck of the terminal from the other side with a pair of needle nose pliers. Cannot get it to move and I fear I will destroy the multi block and/or terminal if I use any more force. Any tips gratefully received. TIA.
DW100

posted on 9/10/15 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
A photo would help as there is a huge range of different multi plugs. Some only have the little barb, whilst others have secondary latch mechanisms that slide in from the side.
gremlin1234

posted on 9/10/15 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I have tried what I thought was the obvious - pushing down the little stand up tang on the spade terminal with a very small screwdriver while simultaneously pulling on the neck of the terminal from the other side with a pair of needle nose pliers.
can't quite picture what your trying, but often spade terminals come out of the housing to the spade side, rather than the wire side.

balidey

posted on 9/10/15 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Often two sets of barbs, one behind the spade itself, often another pair where the wire crimps are.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

johnH20

posted on 11/10/15 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Well it took some time and luck to solve this. For the benefit of anyone else who come across this problem, the terminal block on the back of the Durite switches, which I find I have, has a concealed latching mechanism, the operation of which is invisible in the closed condition. I assume that these terminal blocks are supplied with instructions when new or at least left in the open condition. The system is very secure as I applied considerable force to it, absolutely no chance of the terminals falling out under vibration. Another lesson learned.
nickm

posted on 11/10/15 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
Havent used the tools yet but after spending hours with pins, needles, tweezers etc i have finally bought the "extraction tools" in the "Vehicle Wiring Products" catalogue.
I have now got to work out which part is for which connector/plug.

Nick M

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.