Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Really strange keyway thickness
BenB

posted on 20/10/15 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Really strange keyway thickness

Right here's a strange one. The crank on my ST1100 has a keyway cut into it. It looks like they were planning on using a Woodruff type key (in as much as one end is curved). Trouble is it's neither 4mm nor 3/16"....

So is there some esoteric Japanese thickness Honda used? I can't imagine they used a random figure. It looks like 4.5mm keyway cutters are available but not 4.5mm keys? Eh?????????

This is my spare crank for pondering purposes....

Help pleeeeeeeeeease!

Any if you're wondering why I didn't just use the keyway on the standard crank pulley- this is why (don't think it'll take supplying a blower with 20Bhp)....

owelly

posted on 20/10/15 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
It looks more like a 'register' rather than a keyway. Cut to fit a tang in a pulley......much like the bottom piccy!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 20/10/15 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I'm moving towards that conclusion.... Would be a right royal PITA though- just asking for a nice pulley on there.... Still fancy nicking 20bhp or so off it but it's going to get even more complicated if I'm asking whoever does the machining of the pulley extension to start fabbing up weird sizes. Would have been much nicer if I could have just banged a standard key in there. Grrrrr....
deanspoors

posted on 20/10/15 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Can you not just buy a sprocket and do a little bit of filing?
loggyboy

posted on 21/10/15 at 02:45 AM Reply With Quote
Is it interference fit that requires cam, crank, and pulley locks?

Mistral Motorsport

BenB

posted on 21/10/15 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
It's not an interference fit- in fact it looks like they were thinking of possibly using a splined shaft because the inside of the pulley has splines cut into it. I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that it'll need to be a custom key...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.