Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Trailer - whats needed
Matt21

posted on 28/10/15 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Trailer - whats needed

I have just finished my trailer to transport my mk to track days, It's currently off getting galvanised so I'm ordering the finishing touches for when I get it back.

My question is, what lights and reflectors do I need to have fitted?

It is 1700mm wide and 3000mm long

Tail
Brake
Indicators
Reverse
Fog
Number plate light

Do I need reflectors on the rear? (my lighting board has them fitted so I guess so)
Reflectors/lights on the sides?
Do I need side position lights? (the ones on stalks)

Any info would be great!

gremlin1234

posted on 28/10/15 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
because its a new trailer it should go through the trailer iva

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/iva-manual-for-categories-01-02-03-and-04-trailers

Matt21

posted on 28/10/15 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
It has been refurbished

But I still need to know what lights would be needed

[Edited on 28/10/15 by Matt21]

gremlin1234

posted on 28/10/15 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
the trailer iva manual has all the lighting regulations that you should follow.
Mr Whippy

posted on 28/10/15 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
just use a lighting board as reference as they contain the minimum requirement

tbh I've used all sorts of abortions on the roads and never had any issue with the police, can't recall ever having the correct reg plate on them either

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 28/10/15 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
because its a new trailer it should go through the trailer iva

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/iva-manual-for-categories-01-02-03-and-04-trailers

very hard to prove a trailer was new or old as they have never been registered before. It would only really apply to companies that manufacture them. With home built trailers only an idiot would involve the DVLA.

[Edited on 28/10/15 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PAUL FISHER

posted on 28/10/15 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt21
I have just finished my trailer to transport my mk to track days, It's currently off getting galvanised so I'm ordering the finishing touches for when I get it back.

My question is, what lights and reflectors do I need to have fitted?

It is 1700mm wide and 3000mm long

Tail
Brake
Indicators
Reverse
Fog
Number plate light

Do I need reflectors on the rear? (my lighting board has them fitted so I guess so)
Reflectors/lights on the sides?
Do I need side position lights? (the ones on stalks)

Any info would be great!

You require all the lights you have listed, and red triangular reflectors on the rear, and with it being over1.6m wide you require front white marker lights, you dont require amber side markers or lights with it only being 3m, but I would fit a couple of amber reflectors on the sides just over the wheels, as they only cost a couple of quid.

Brook_lands

posted on 28/10/15 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
I've got the other problem, the trailer I use was home made in 1965 according to the guy I bought it off by his father and given some of the parts used are of that era I have no reason to doubt him and he had no reason at the time to say that if it wasn't true. As most legislation is not retrospective I'm sure the trailer more than complied with the requirements. However it most certainly won't comply with the current regs for new trailers and I really have no way of proving its age.

With all things there isn't a problem until there is a problem. i don't want to re-open the A frame debate but from a recent post it is obvious that people who have been towing cars behind motor homes and off road 4x4 on A frames and have been for years and years without a problem are probably not doing it legally.

If it looks right you probably won't attract attention but what are you going to say if asked by the Police or a court "when was this trailer made?"

[Edited on 28/10/15 by Brook_lands]

[Edited on 28/10/15 by Brook_lands]

balidey

posted on 28/10/15 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
A trailer that has just been freshly galvanised and refurbished with all new bits is more likely to look like a new trailer, so may attract attention of someone looking for a manufacturers VIN plate. So be prepared to show evidence of its true age. A 'before' photo, or a receipt for the galvanising perhaps?

And as above, if trailer lights look right, then usually they are right.
The actual regs runs to about 25 pages of unintelligible Euro waffle. Yes I have read it very carefully several times and it still baffles me at times.

http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/r48r6e.pdf

start at about page 45

[Edited on 28/10/15 by balidey]

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

prawnabie

posted on 29/10/15 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Especially when what has been put on the internet cannot be deleted, even the post post is replaced by a "."
Mr Whippy

posted on 29/10/15 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
try finding a police officer who gives a flying feck about a trailer

there is no requirement for anyone to provide evidence of any sort to that exact age of a trailer and since they never have been previously it cannot be expected that that evidence would even be produced. I have a 5 year old 3.5 ton twin axle mass produced trailer built locally that didn't come with any plates or numbers.

Matt21

posted on 29/10/15 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help.

As balidey said most of the regs make no sense.... but I eventually found this site which confirms what was already said

http://uk-trailer-parts.co.uk/trailer-lighting-rules-regulations-and-requirements

Nice and simple! just how I like it!

I ordered some red/white front side markers and white front reflectors, so hopefully that's all right!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.