Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: F@@k, petrol in my diesel car
mark chandler

posted on 1/11/15 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
F@@k, petrol in my diesel car

35 years of driving and it's happened, putting fuel into my D5 v70, £17's in and realised I was pouring in petrol......

Hung up the pump and considered my options, settled on fill with diesel and dump 1/2 litre of 2 stroke oil in to ensure decent lubrication of the pump etc, 70 miles in and the car is actually running very well , if anything faster than before!

Cranks over for a bit longer when starting, apart from that no horrible noises, smoke for the exhaust or heating issues so hoping I have got away with 20% petrol mix in the tank.

So I now have another descision, run the car unti empty then fill with the normal stuff or every hundred miles throw in some more diesel and gradually reduce the ratio, what's the collectives thoughts?

Cheers Mark

coozer

posted on 1/11/15 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Should be ok, run it till its 3/4 then fill with more derv

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

SJ

posted on 1/11/15 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I put about £15 in my 04 Passat and it never gave any problems. Like yours if anything it went a bit better.
gaz_gaz

posted on 1/11/15 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Put 30 quid worth of petrol in a 2010 A4 TDI on Christmas night in Central London. Brimmed it with diesel and drove home. Ran a quarter tank and re brimmed then went back to normal usage.
Was a little harder to start for a couple of weeks but once cleared it was OK.

Adamirish

posted on 1/11/15 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
You should be fine. If I were you, I would run it down to half then fill again with DIESEL. I would personally run it out as quick as possible too. I've heard petrol will kill pump and injector seals in a diesel. So getting it out as quick as possible would be the thing to do.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

mark chandler

posted on 5/11/15 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
400 miles done, economy has increased and feels much faster! Traction control clicking in and out when pulling away trying to be gentle !

I,ll fill with the right stuff on Sunday, looks like no damage done thankfully, not even a OBD code thrown up

Staple balls

posted on 6/11/15 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
400 miles done, economy has increased and feels much faster! Traction control clicking in and out when pulling away trying to be gentle !

I,ll fill with the right stuff on Sunday, looks like no damage done thankfully, not even a OBD code thrown up

Sounds like the wrong stuff works better.

Just out of curiosity, what do you normally feed it? We talking morrisions cheapy or flash stuff from someone known for fuel, not sausage rolls?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.