Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recomend talk to me about pick ups
Jon Ison

posted on 4/11/15 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Recomend talk to me about pick ups

Never owned one, will be selling my van along with the business when we sell up early next year.

Thinking the ideal vehicle (toy) for me will be a pick up, what do I want from it?

Comfort.
4x4 but doesn't need to be permanent.
Crew cab or able to seat 3 in front occasionally, (is there one like this?)
Reliability.
Economical for its class.

Probably looking at somthing up to 10 years old.

What should I be looking at and what should I avoid?

Thanks guys.

JoelP

posted on 4/11/15 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Just a note on part time 4wd. With no centre diff, you cannot have it in 4wd on the road until you are losing grip. This mean that in most circumstances, you're actually in a dodgy, wobbly, short, tail-happy rwd death trap. Which is fun for us, but I was never confident that the wife was safe in it. And despite knowing not to abuse the 4wd, I still ended up knackering a prop.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 4/11/15 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
I had a Nissan Navara. Selectable 4x4 massive inside and out. Can tow the planet and took some serious weight in the back.

5 seats, as comfy as a car.

The Toyota hilux is nice and the Mitsubishi is good too

Loved taking it off road through fields etc. Had low range box as well.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

woodster

posted on 4/11/15 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I've had 3 work pickups and currently have a Mitsubishi l200 crew cab, plenty room for me and the Mrs and 2 teenage daughters, when it's being used for work the seats fold up making a good tool storage place, it used fuel heavily when it was new but seems better now it's done 60 thousand miles ..... It can be put in 4 wheel drive whilst moving but admittedly when its wet and in rear wheel only it's great fun it can do some great tail happy drifting .... The wife drives it without any problems and recently drove it down to Birmingham and back. ........ All in all a top truck it's not one of the special edition ones just a basic 4work but still a nice truck .
morcus

posted on 4/11/15 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
My dad had a Ford Ranger XLT Thunder of about the vintage you're looking and as other have said it was most of the time a really slidey RWD vehicle (He said on wet round abouts it was like driving a Morris minor) but it was great for moving stuff around. At the time he thought the Good L200 was the one to have but this was a time when semi-luxury pickups like he wanted were massively popular and the L200s were a lot more money for the spec. Personally I think at 10 years old there won't be much between them so try and see examples of the main contenders (Ranger, L200, Mazda B, Hilux, Navara and Izuzu Denver) and see what you like best and what you can get the best deal on.

Get a hard top for the bed, makes the truck so much more useful and more economical.

Have a look whats near by and see what you can get the best deal on.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Adamirish

posted on 4/11/15 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Crew cab hilux is the way to go. They are lovely to drive for a pick up. Also look at the Isuzu DMax. The twin turbo's go very well for what they are and are quite comfortable. Not so sure I'd want any pick up as a family daily driver but I would say that the hilux or Isuzu are the ones to go for.

Spent a couple of days driving a VW amarok, it was nice but seemed really gutless to me. 2.0 twin turbo I think. Lots of toys but I personally wasn't impressed with it. Maybe a remap would sort that out mind!

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

Dick

posted on 5/11/15 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Got to be the Toyota without question have had all the others as well but would say they don't get get close.
lsdweb

posted on 5/11/15 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
I'm on my second pickup - both new but my comments still apply

My advice would be to drive a few. They tend to bounce around a lot when empty - ladder chassis and leaf springs. This can be a bit disconcerting at first!

Also, if you need covered storage, buy one with a hard top fitted or make sure there's a decent second hand one around as new prices for hardtops are high! Even the manufacturers say that the roller tops aren't good at keeping water out!

They are great vehicles for carrying people and stuff and towing, but can be a bit agricultural.

Wyn

MikeRJ

posted on 5/11/15 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
I had a Nissan Navara. Selectable 4x4 massive inside and out. Can tow the planet and took some serious weight in the back.

5 seats, as comfy as a car.

The (older) Navara also has the special feature that the chassis snaps in half through a combination of horrendous levels of corrosion and badly designed towbars. I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole.

Nickp

posted on 5/11/15 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dick
Got to be the Toyota without question have had all the others as well but would say they don't get get close.

^^^ What he said.
I've had a '55 plate basic Ford Ranger, good basic work horse but noisy and crude.
Fully speced up 2012 L200, noisy but powerful engine, good equipment but tbh drove like a wallowy old bus.
Had a basic Hilux for coming up 3yrs now and they just drive so much better than the others and just get on with the job no fuss.

Jon Ison

posted on 5/11/15 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys will have to get my bum in a few, will be used for towing and general,shifting stuff, we have a family small dailey run about, or will have
r1_pete

posted on 5/11/15 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
I've had 3 L200s all 06 on all have been great, the only annoyance is the reluctance to come out of 4x4 due to actuation being electro mechanical and vacuum.

There were a lot of recalls 2 for back Spring hangers...

Currently have a 2010 raging bull returns mid to high 30s mpg, 275 quid insurance, servicing is reasonable too just had the belts and fluids service at £700 the parts are £400 plus for the belts apparently.

I'm m1 j31 and travel to Chesterfield daily if you want to meet up and give it a once over, I'll be chopping it in in the spring for the latest one...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 6/11/15 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
My local garage has had three Navaras in with broken chassis. One of them was a real low mileage one that had never been fitted with a towbar or used in anger......
An example....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nickp

posted on 6/11/15 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
My local garage has had three Navaras in with broken chassis. One of them was a real low mileage one that had never been fitted with a towbar or used in anger......
An example....

Nissans take on the 'bendy bus'??

Jon Ison

posted on 6/11/15 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Useful information ta

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.