Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Irish registered vans on eBay.
tegwin

posted on 6/11/15 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Irish registered vans on eBay.

I've always been told that if it looks too good to be true then it usually is....

I'm currently looking for a rather specific van and eBay seems a sensible place to look.... Occasionally a van pops up with an Irish reg several Łk less than the British registered equivalent... Generally they seem pretty tatty and at the lower end of the price band but why are the Irish vans so cheap? What's the catch? And how hard is it to register them in the uk?

[Edited on 6/11/15 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

maccmike

posted on 6/11/15 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
If your going to buy one, you have t'be sure
Adamirish

posted on 7/11/15 at 01:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maccmike
If your going to buy one, you have t'be sure

Hahahaha!

I think it's because of the tax rates there. They are ridiculous.

As for registration, shouldn't be any different than importing from any other country. At least you could drive it back rather than having to trailer an unregistered car.

Or it could be owned by a caravan dweller.......

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

britishtrident

posted on 7/11/15 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
Be aware Irish equivalent of an MOT the NCT is only required after 4 years so buying a vehicle that has not yet had its' first test could fall into the gap.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

mark.s

posted on 7/11/15 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Think this is right ...If it's southern island you have to notify HMRC and you will have to pay the import tax, the paper log book should be fine if it has current tax and mot
tegwin

posted on 7/11/15 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark.s
Think this is right ...If it's southern island you have to notify HMRC and you will have to pay the import tax, the paper log book should be fine if it has current tax and mot

Any idea What is tax likely to be on a 10 year old van?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Fatgadget

posted on 7/11/15 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
This might not be relevant .......A company I worked for used to import questionable Chinese leccy scooters and it was nigh on impossible getting them registered on the mainland.However,it was a piece of cake getting them registered in NI

Also I seem to remember that the works rally cars notably Nissan 240rs and Opel Mantas had Irish plates.
I have no idea why given that NI is part of Britain..

Rod Ends

posted on 7/11/15 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
An Irish-registered van in the UK might be owned by members of the "travelling community".

(Fine, upstanding people, honest as the day is long. I'd have no worries doing business with them.)

mark.s

posted on 8/11/15 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
quote:
Originally posted by mark.s

Any idea What is tax likely to be on a 10 year old van?

I've no idea , this is what I was told by DVLA when I rang them about something related

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.