Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My Sylva Striker Rebuild
CraigJ

posted on 8/11/15 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
My Sylva Striker Rebuild

Thought I would do a thread on this car as I'm not far from completion now.

A few years ago I was building an Onyx Mongoose with a ZX10 engine, But lack of funds due to a crap job wasn't doing me any favours so I sold it to a nice guy up in the Scottish borders.

I finally got out of the crap job and started being paid for my what I'm good at but kit cars took a back seat as I wanted to buy a dream car. A Porsche 911.

I owned and did lots of work on this to make sure it was running and driving spot on for the 2 years I owned it. This then went up for sale as I fancied a Vantage but once sold I got cold feet about spending 30+ grand on a weekend car and looking through ebay and autotrader I spotted a nice 997 for sale local. A quick viewing and test drive and it was mine.

This was so much nicer than the 996 i had before it.

After about 6 years of doing my job I decided to leave and go self employed. So the 911 had to go to fund the start up. I really miss that car.

Six months into being self employed and business is doing well and better than expected. I was starting to look at kit cars as I wanted some thing to do in my spare time as my work usually leaves me with about a week and half in the middle of the month where its quiet due to customers budgets and I wanted to keep busy.

After missing out on a Fury on ebay I started looking at new kits. A visit to MNR and I was going to order a Vortx but i was still searching ebay and a Striker popped up in hull. Built in 99/2000 and only ever used as a track day car. Never been on the road and had been sat unused for a long time but started and drove (almost).

Here is the car the day i brought it home

The plan was just to tidy it up and make it good enough to go through IVA but once I started to really look it over I realised it needed to be fully rebuilt. So i just ripped it apart.

Calipers were knackered.

Bare chassis just panels to go

Tie wraps were used a lot on this car, brake lines, fuel lines etc.

All panels off

Started the long process of cleaning and painting parts

All ball joints replaced with new ones

Axle cleaned ready for paint

Chassis almost back to bare metal

Engine and box cleaning up

Chassis cleaned, painted and panels back on.

Front suspension, rack and column back in

Took 3 attempts to get the right track rod ends

Live axle back in

Santa arrived early and brought me a load of new parts, Acewell dash, wiring loom, full gasket kit for the engine, catch tank and lights plus loads of other stuff

Gearbox cleaned and painted.

Then the engine. Due to the car not being as described I was doubting the spec of the engine. steel rods/crank etc was claimed. So i pulled it apart to see what was really in there. It wasn't as described but wasn't too bad either.

Big valve head with a bit of porting, 1300 pistons with machined tops to allow for the kent 244 cam, double valve springs and duplex timing kit. It has twin 40 carbs also.

Block painted and going back together

New calipers

Brake fluid cap to meet IVA requirements

Wheels arrived, 13x6

Engine and box back in

routing the fuel line

Ignore the tie wraps there only to hold in place as i decide on the route. Gear stick had been cut really short so i made this a bit longer with a new thread and a nice new nylon gear knob.

And just one last shot.

as it sits today. I need to finish the fuel line off and secure it. Refit the carbs after i have rebuilt them. Them start on the wiring.

Plan is to have it finished buy the end on this year and try for IVA early 2016.

steve m

posted on 8/11/15 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Nice job, and you did the right thing stripping the car, as it did look a bit untidy
and on the plus side, you know exactly what every bit is and does,

I also believe that when you IVA the car, when its all nice and clean, tidy, (as it is) and lots of new bits, Mr IVA man must
think, the car has been put together with care and attention, this must help in his decision making

oh, and keep the engine, xflows are soo much fun!

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

CraigJ

posted on 8/11/15 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
the engine will be staying. I think it suits the car. It will be going to a rolling road once finished for setting up.

It wont be anywhere near perfect but it will be a usable fun weekend car.

peter030371

posted on 9/11/15 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Nice work, I wish I had time to progress my build this quick but I have to much on so I plod on a few hours at a time.
CraigJ

posted on 12/11/15 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Few more pics.

Started laying the loom through the car

The helper

Tyres fitted so I got the wheels on and rolled it out and had a good clean up in the garage

The plan is to crack on with the front end wiring this week.

What have others used for securing the wiring around the chassis?

cfc999

posted on 13/11/15 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Nice project. I'm rebuilding my Striker and changing from xflow to bike power. Just a couple of questions.
Have you replaced any of the original alloy panels and what did you paint your chassis with
Cheers
Chris.

CraigJ

posted on 13/11/15 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
I reused the same panels as they just need a polish up. They were removed though to paint the chassis. I used a few coats of Hammerite smooth. I was going to get it powder coated but glad I didn't as I keep making changes and mods that require cutting etc so I can just touch up with more paint and it will all blend in.
bi22le

posted on 13/11/15 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CraigJ
I reused the same panels as they just need a polish up. They were removed though to paint the chassis. I used a few coats of Hammerite smooth. I was going to get it powder coated but glad I didn't as I keep making changes and mods that require cutting etc so I can just touch up with more paint and it will all blend in.

Do you use a brush, what is the finish like? I used the sake stuff and could never get the it as good as powdercoat. Brush strokes still viable

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

CraigJ

posted on 13/11/15 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Used a brush on all the parts that will be covered and used spray cans on the roll bar. Finish isn't too bad. Its never going to look as good as powder coat but will be easier to keep looking tidy over time. Starts looking tatty, rub down and paint over.
perksy

posted on 13/11/15 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Keep up the good work, Always good to read re-build threads

Be aware that sadly the Hammerite will chip very easily

CraigJ

posted on 28/11/15 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
few more bits done.

Spending a lot of time doing the wiring. Fuses and relays mounted.

Picked up a nice little rubber gater for the gearstick and also used some black heat shrink to tidy it up.

Starting running the loom out front for the lights and other bits. nice big ebay grommets to keep it tidy.

Powervamp battery and new throttle cable installed

Random engine bay pic

Started on the dash mock up. Keeping it nice and simple. Still choke cable to mount and immobiliser to fit then it can be covered in some genuine fake leather.

The body work is due back this weekend from the brother in laws so I will be fitting the rear end and getting all the rear lights in and finished off.

Still hoping to have it completed by the end of this year.

CraigJ

posted on 17/12/15 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
few more pics.

not a great deal to see as most of the things i have been doing are all the small bits, wiring ect.

Headlights mounted and wired up. Left the bubble wrap bags over them so i don't scratch them while walking past.

Dash all finished and trimmed up. All wiring complete.

Rear end back from the brother in laws. mounted and all lights in and wired up.

Still need to make a mount for the exhaust, wire in the immobiliser and mount the cycle wings with indicators/side repeaters.

I'm waiting on the seats arriving along with a few other small bits.

all being well it will be finished in the next few weeks.

CosKev3

posted on 17/12/15 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
The only pic that's showing on my iPad is the first one of Porsche,nothing else showing
CraigJ

posted on 17/12/15 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Must be an apple thing. My pics only show for me on the laptop. If I view the forum on an iPhone or iPad they don't show.
Volvorsport

posted on 18/12/15 at 12:46 AM Reply With Quote
And nobody said anything about the voith turbo oil cooler .....

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

CosKev3

posted on 18/12/15 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Must be an apple thing. My pics only show for me on the laptop. If I view the forum on an iPhone or iPad they don't show.

Yeah must be,working on my Samsung phone.

Car is looking good

CraigJ

posted on 18/12/15 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
And nobody said anything about the voith turbo oil cooler .....

Thats just a spare part from my day job.

Volvorsport

posted on 18/12/15 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Thought so . Do any work for TFL ...?

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

CraigJ

posted on 18/12/15 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry never heard of them. unless you are referring to Transport for London?

Voith Cover alot of areas but i only do the Bus side of it.

[Edited on 18/12/15 by CraigJ]

CraigJ

posted on 18/12/15 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:

Yeah must be,working on my Samsung phone.

Car is looking good

Seems to be a problem with this site and locostbuilders. I have this same thread on JPSC.org.uk and it shows fine on my Ipad.

Volvorsport

posted on 18/12/15 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
I meant transport for London. I work for eminox . Surely you must have come across one of our brilliant conversions that makes the gearbox a lot harder to access....

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

CraigJ

posted on 18/12/15 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Haven't done any work in London for a few years now.

As for access don't get me started lol. Saying that I haven't come across anything that is worse than a Daf DB250 yet. When I used to work for Voith I made a lot of trips to Plaxtons and had to check over a few new builds to see if everything was ok. I would give them notes on how to avoid future issues which they just ignored and they just carry on building them as they want. So I gave up after that.

Volvorsport

posted on 18/12/15 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Do you know a lad called Richard from harrogate ,has a drag car rebuilds voith/ zf boxes ?

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

CraigJ

posted on 18/12/15 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
I don't no, sorry.
monkeyarms

posted on 18/12/15 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Just a quick observation, does the bottom of the dash meet the IVA requirement of "not less than 19mm"?
See Interior Fittings section, page 2 of 8, item 7
I know the manual changes, so may not be apllicable since i did my IVA 3 years ago.

Nice car and good work

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.