Recomend a Fault code reader

Hello all

Over the years i have had various car where the management light has come on

Can anybody reccommend me a reasonabley priced fault code reader please

Thanks
Mick

Madinventions

posted on 8/11/15 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
I use one of the cheap Bluetooth OBD readers from eBay and the "Torque" app for Android. Works a treat on all the cars I've tried so far including Ford, Vauxhall, Toyota, BMW etc. Allows you to read the error codes, reset the MIL light as well as look at all of the data coming from the car. Very useful tool and cheap enough to have a couple of them.

### eBay link ###

HTH
Ed.

Mojo build diary: http://www.madinventions.co.uk

Solo music project: Syrrenfor http://www.reverbnation.com/syrrenfor

View my band website:
http://www.shadowlight.org.uk

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/

BigFaceDave

posted on 8/11/15 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
I've got one of those too. Surprisingly good and always seems to work a treat. I'm in iPhone / iPad and used to use EODB but wasn't a genre at app and then discovered ODBCarDoctor and it's very good. It doesn't seem to be in the App Store but I googled it and Google brings it up and then goes into the App Store. Does live readings too!
sonic

posted on 8/11/15 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys

thanks for the info, i was looking at the KW808 on Ebay, sorry i dont know how to add a link on here.

Your thoughts?

loggyboy

posted on 8/11/15 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
I had a handheld one, is no way as good as the bluetooth one, reason being the bluetooth ones use constantly updated software on ur phone/tablet. The cheap all in one units are out of date when u buy them and more expensive.

Mistral Motorsport

britishtrident

posted on 9/11/15 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
(1) The cheap bluetooth units on Ebay are very hit or miss -- the quality is generally poor and it is a bit of a lottery if it will connect or not. They have known connection problems to some cars particularly many Ford models. But when they do work they give a lot of bang for your buck.
(2) Of the Android apps the only two that are any good Torque Pro and Car Doctor Pro both have their strengths and weaknesses. Torque is good for I/M Readiness checks and Car Doctor Pro has what they call Combined Widgets which give particularly good graphing very good for comparing output from upstream and downstream Lambda sensors. Car Doctor Pro seems to connect to the dongle much easier than Torque.
(3) These units and apps will only allow access to basic OBD2 pids if you want to read manufacturers codes and ABS, SRS you need either a medium price handheld unit or much more expensive dongle.

When buying a handheld unit it is pretty essential to get one that reads live data, will do graphing and do I/M readiness checks, I/M checks are emission self-testing by own ECU used in the USA for emissions testing. A car that passes I/M Readiness checks will 999 times out of 1000 pass UK MOT Emissions tests.

Autel, Launch, iCarsoft, Foxwell and Memoscan all make handheld units that work, The Autel AL419 is a good basic unit but it won't read SRS or ABS if you want that you will need to spend £120 for an AL619. Launch have broadly equivalent range.
Some manufacturers are better catered for than others but reasonable cost handheld units are available dedicated to specific manufacturers that give much higher levels of access than the general purpose units.

[Edited on 9/11/15 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

JC

posted on 9/11/15 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
I just bought one for my BMW - if you have a iPhone thought, beware Bluetooth readers don't work, you,will need a wifi one. I got the ELM327 wi if plug in for £8.95 and free delivery. For now I used icarly lite, which allowed me to email the diagnostic message and get a decode (within an hour) but I think the full version which allows you to read the codes and reset lights was £33.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 9/11/15 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC
I just bought one for my BMW - if you have a iPhone thought, beware Bluetooth readers don't work, you,will need a wifi one. I got the ELM327 wi if plug in for £8.95 and free delivery. For now I used icarly lite, which allowed me to email the diagnostic message and get a decode (within an hour) but I think the full version which allows you to read the codes and reset lights was £33.

You should consider a handheld with native BMW functions they can be found from £40-£50 do loads of functions generic OBDII won't do not just ABS EWS & SRS but loads of things controlled by ECU like central locking, NAV, ICE, Seats

[/I]

ettore bugatti

posted on 10/11/15 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Originally posted by JC

You should consider a handheld with native BMW functions they can be found from £40-£50 do loads of functions generic OBDII won't do not just ABS EWS & SRS but loads of things controlled by ECU like central locking, NAV, ICE, Seats

Thanks for the tip, are you thinking of the C110 unit?

JC

posted on 10/11/15 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
The 'pro' version of iCarly does do all of those things - I only had 1 thing to diagnose (rear wheel speed sensor) so the lite version was fine for not. It used to be called BMWhat but had to be renamed!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 10/11/15 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC
The 'pro' version of iCarly does do all of those things - I only had 1 thing to diagnose (rear wheel speed sensor) so the lite version was fine for not. It used to be called BMWhat but had to be renamed!

The wheels sensors on BMWs with active wheel bearings can be very difficult to diagnosed without some way of reading the sensor codes.
Even if you can pin down which corner is at fault it requires a bit of dective work to figure out if is the sensor or the wheel bearing.
The only other way to do it is with a graphing multimeter or an oscilloscope.

[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 10/11/15 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ettore bugatti
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Originally posted by JC

Thanks for the tip, are you thinking of the C110 unit?

There are a few but the C110 looks good value see https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-oxHx7Be1mY

[/I]

DW100

posted on 10/11/15 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
ICarly? Isn't that some cr*p american Disney show?
Mr Whippy

posted on 10/11/15 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
I have an incarsoft reader, which wasn't cheap at all but it is fab and is a propper dealer spec tool. Lets you do anything and tells you in plain english what's up with the car rather than looking up codes. Paid for itself in no time with my volvo getting rid of all the scary error messages that were infact easy to fix.
britishtrident

posted on 10/11/15 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DW100
ICarly? Isn't that some cr*p american Disney show?

Or an album by a 1970s singer-songwriter with a great voice and other qualities which my 17 year old self much admired.

[Edited on 10/11/15 by britishtrident]

[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.