Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Side screens/Wind Deflectors
Antnicuk

posted on 10/11/15 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Side screens/Wind Deflectors

Hi all,
i am back in the kit car world. I have bought a Tiger Avon. It has a windscreen. After having the stylus with a curved windscreen which was very civilised, the flat avon screen causes a lot buffeting ( i knew it would so its no suprise) i have been trying to find any options for small side screens like the cobras sometimes have? or other options to avoid the buffeting a little. It has doors but with quite wide shoulders, i think it will be a little cramped with the doors on.

Also, the gear leaver in first, 3rd and 5th is very close to the dash which is ok for road use but i think on a track day with some enthusiastic gear changin may resulting in my hitting the dash. Is this common? what are options for moving it back?

thanks
tony

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

David Jenkins

posted on 10/11/15 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
I made these things out of polycarbonate sheet - you can't see it easily, but there's a sharp bend just behind the screen that keeps it rigid.

Wind deflector
Wind deflector

Originally I was going to fit something hinged, but I just couldn't find suitable 'stiff hinges'.

What gearbox do you have?

[Edited on 10/11/15 by David Jenkins]

Antnicuk

posted on 10/11/15 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
It's a type 9. I will have a look at making some. Do they make a big difference. ?

steve m

posted on 10/11/15 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
I made a pair, and pretty similar to Davids, and out of Lexan

On the last run i went out with them on, and returned with them off, and off is the way i think i will stay
as the buffeting and noise was worse with them fitted,

maybe my desighn is flawed,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/11/15 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
I had wind deflectors on my JBA falcon, great things made a huge difference to the buffeting and a 7 would have much the same improvement
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 10/11/15 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
They do help a bit. Before I fitted them I used to get a lot of wind noise in my right ear, and that's reduced a lot. You do still get buffeted a bit though.

As for the gearshift - look at my web page (www.lathyrus.eu), go to "special tools and parts", then "Ford 5-speed gearbox extension". It worked for me, and I think that a few others have had success with it. Not easy to make - requires a few tools - but effective.

[Edited on 10/11/15 by David Jenkins]

Sam_68

posted on 10/11/15 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
This is the reason I actually prefer 'Sevens' with aeroscreens. It sometimes seems that the buffeting from a full screen is worse than not having a screen at all, 'cos the turbulence seems ideally placed to batter you around the head!

Then there are the issues that wipers never seem to work that well on flat screens, and of course the damn thing will knock a good bit off your top speed.

Full sidescreens make a big difference, so have you considered making sidescreens with 'elbow blisters', like Caterham use? It does still feel a bit claustraphobic, but you get used to it and tuck your elbows in!

[Edited on 10/11/15 by Sam_68]

40inches

posted on 10/11/15 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
I made side and top deflectors, works very well, but, the total answer is half or full doors. Even half doors make a huge differance.
Description
Description

rusty nuts

posted on 10/11/15 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I made some deflectors for my car , they do cut down the buffeting . I did think about making one to fit across the top of the screen , maybe one day? I once was in a Cessna 182 that normally had a small wind deflector fitted to the front edge of the door frame when the door was removed, the buffeting was painful without it fitted.

David's remote ctension is well worth looking at , mine works really well and only cost me £0.92

snapper

posted on 10/11/15 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
I had the big elephant ear type and they made very little noticeable diference
Doors were much better
You can built a Caterham type bulged door for your huge shoulders

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Antnicuk

posted on 11/11/15 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
huge in a good way

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.