Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which alternator fits the Cosworth Duratec alternator mounting bracket?
ceebmoj

posted on 10/11/15 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Which alternator fits the Cosworth Duratec alternator mounting bracket?

Does any one recognise the alternator supplied as part of this kit? I ask because I the brackets and other parts can be purchased by them selves to keep the cost down.

http://www.burtonpower.com/cosworth-alternator-tensioner-underdrive-kit-ford-duratec-2-0-kk3740.html

I think it's the Denso type but does anybody know or have you used the bracket?

big-vee-twin

posted on 10/11/15 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Brise which sell a 40amp denso

Alternatively eBay - Diahatsu Charade

[Edited on 10/11/15 by big-vee-twin]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Paul Turner

posted on 11/11/15 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Original Daihatsu alternators are fine. The one on mine was donated by a chap up the street, its off a 1989 Charade GTTi.

But a word of warning. Do not but "cheap" new Denso alternators off E-Bay or well known Kit Car parts suppliers.

I bought one about 5 years ago. Fitted it, voltage was low until revved but otherwise OK. After 40 miles it started to rattle. Took it back and supplier (who was about 20 miles away) blamed me for fitting it incorrectly. Reluctantly he swapped it. Same low voltage on replacement unit and guess what, after 40 miles it started to rattle. Took it back again and he refused to change it blaming me. So I said OK, will get money back from VISA at which point he got ratty claiming I would then have alternator and money and he would have nothing. So I suggested that if he refunded me he would have the alternator, I would have the money and he would never see me again. He reluctantly agreed.

Later that day I chatted to the chap up our street who used to run the GTTi and quite out of the blue he said he had an alternator, been in the garage for years, no idea if its still worked but try it for free. Fitted it to the same brackets as before and plugged in the same wires. As I said above over 5 years later its still working, so much for me fitting them incorrectly. Same voltage at idle or full chat and no rattles.

Decided I should get a spare and downloaded the Denso parts sheet of the magical internet, just left me more confused. Many different part numbers for what appeared to be identical alternators, so I spoke to Denso technical. Basically the differences are in the output (on the sticker) and plug, physical differences are obvious.

So a few months later I bought an identical unit off E-Bay as a spare for £14 posted. Still on the shelf in the garage. one day might need it.

As an aside when I was speaking to the Denso chap I mentioned the 2 alternators I had bought that failed. He asked a simple question, what was the label like and did it say Denso or Nippon Denso. Described label and told him Nippon Denso and he immediately said they were fakes. They stopped using the Nippon Denso name in the 90's when they started supplying more European makes.

ceebmoj

posted on 11/11/15 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turner
So a few months later I bought an identical unit off E-Bay as a spare for £14 posted. Still on the shelf in the garage. one day might need it.

Fancy selling the spare? failing that can you get the part number off it? Do you know witch belt you used and do you need to fit a 5v pully to the altinator

[Edited on 11/11/15 by ceebmoj]

[Edited on 11/11/15 by ceebmoj]

Paul Turner

posted on 12/11/15 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj
Fancy selling the spare? failing that can you get the part number off it? Do you know witch belt you used and do you need to fit a 5v pully to the altinator

Car and spares blocked in by furniture so no chance to get a part number. But any Denso will do. Something like this will do fine.

1998 Daihatsu Sirion Alternator 1.0LTR Petrol P.No : 101211-2730 Denso Type

You need to measure the belt when the alternator is on your custom bracket.

As for pulley it needs to match the crank, waterpump etc.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.