Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sometime locost is not the best way (WiFi dongle)
02GF74

posted on 19/11/15 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
sometime locost is not the best way (WiFi dongle)

Recently subscribed to Virgin media cable but was not getting the promised 50mbps although it went up from 10 to 25-30ish (depending on which bb speed checker is run).

So I took a punt at one of the 300 MBps WiFi dongles for £ 4.89 to replace the 150 and speed checkers show 50-60ish (depending on which bb speed checker is run).

So yeah, quite pleased with that, naturally a wired LAN would be at least as fast but would required a messing round installing cable with faffing to hide it under carpets.

BTW you can get it £ 1.50 cheaper from China (if you want to wait 3 weeks) but this was UK seller that also included the CD with installation software. It's always a bit worrying messing with a working system by deleting drivers

[Edited on 19/11/15 by 02GF74]

Irony

posted on 19/11/15 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Never quite understood the 'need for speed' when it comes to internet connections. You only need 10-15mb for streaming services and 25mb for High Def IPTV. What are you doing with 50mb????? Real-time medical image consultation perhaps?
Davey D

posted on 19/11/15 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
ive noticed some ISP state how many users is recommended for a particular line speed. Makes me laugh when they say 50Mbps is recommended for 1-4 users. We seemed to get by in the days of dialup ok. But then i suppose as connection speeds have increased the services we use online are becoming overly bloated
ianm67

posted on 19/11/15 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
Recently subscribed to Virgin media cable but was not getting the promised 50mbps although it went up from 10 to 25-30ish (depending on which bb speed checker is run).

So I took a punt at one of the 300 MBps WiFi dongles for £ 4.89 to replace the 150 and speed checkers show 50-60ish (depending on which bb speed checker is run).

So yeah, quite pleased with that, naturally a wired LAN would be at least as fast but would required a messing round installing cable with faffing to hide it under carpets.

BTW you can get it £ 1.50 cheaper from China (if you want to wait 3 weeks) but this was UK seller that also included the CD with installation software. It's always a bit worrying messing with a working system by deleting drivers

[Edited on 19/11/15 by 02GF74]

Did exactly the same with my all in one PC. It already had a built in 802.11N Wi-Fi adapter but bought one of these and my connection speeds have gone from 45Mbps to over 100Mbps...... Wished I'd tried this before I changed from BT Infinity to Virgin, I may not have had to bother in the first place.....

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

SJ

posted on 19/11/15 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
I recently bought a tp link AC usb wifi dongle to test how much better it is with a ac router and is is much better than the power line adapter I was using before. It was £25 though.
Paul Turner

posted on 25/11/15 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
I simply changed a setting in the Virgin media Superhub and my speed went from about 20 mb/s to just over 40 mb/s. Good enough on a 60 mb/s connection and cost me nothing.

Bought one of those cheapo Chinese dongles a couple of years ago for an old laptop. The expensive Belkin one would not connect using Linux. Cheapo one connected instantly.

britishtrident

posted on 25/11/15 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Most routers in any given street will be on just a couple of Wifi channels doing a site survey and moving on to a vacant channel works wonders. However BT Home Hubs always seem to reselect t to channel 1 on reboot.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Hodor

posted on 26/11/15 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
Screw you lot, I get 3mb download speed. Don't come crying on here about "just" getting 25mb! ;-)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.