Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover V8 good idea or mad
axle

posted on 21/11/15 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Rover V8 good idea or mad

Hi all

Has anyone fitted Rover V8 to the Roadster, I think there is enough room , but not sure about sump modification?

Anyway will be glad to hear if this is a good idea or to be avoided all together?:mad

Regards Axle

IVA passed 1st time thanks to the Forum members.

NeilP

posted on 21/11/15 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thinking about a V8 upgrade for mine. Wouldn't touch a rover v8 - chances of finding a clean enough one that's not going to cost you a bomb to bring to a decent power is very slim. Rather put my money in a more modern unit and incur the smaller cost of configuring...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

coozer

posted on 21/11/15 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, its been done a few times. I'm putting one in my jeep as it came along very cheap.

Thing is they are old now, and don't make very good power for a V8.

If I was building from new I would go for an LS or a Ford 302.

Plenty euro barge's are around with V8s if you fancy the challenge.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

axle

posted on 21/11/15 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you all, it sound like a mad Idea if the dosh comes along I shall go with what you have suggested.

Regards Axle

Irony

posted on 21/11/15 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Rover V8 in my Viento. I would recommend a RV8 because it is just old simple tech and is easy to learn to build an engine. There is plenty of help online and virtually every problem has been encountered before. There are many doubters on here but they forget that not everyone has built a car before. My car weighs 750kg with 210bhp. Plenty of power and it makes the most glorious noise.

If you are a experienced car builder/engineer then I might go for a 1uzfe but there are no manual gearbox options. A adapter plate needs to be bought or fabricated. Again plenty of people have done it.

[Edited on 21/11/15 by Irony]

Irony

posted on 21/11/15 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
This is what your car may sound like - headphones in. Cheers Chris..

quote:
Originally posted by Chris_Xtreme

[Edited on 13/5/15 by Chris_Xtreme]

[Edited on 21/11/15 by Irony]

axle

posted on 21/11/15 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris
Thanks for your input, looking at achieve your built is fascinating, yes I do agree with the simple buit. Would you please tell me if the sump had to be shorten, would you be so kind to post pic, and what did you do radiator?

Regards Axle

Simon

posted on 21/11/15 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Built my locost with a RV8 10 years ago and it was a right laugh. Decided it needed more so twin turboed it but that had issues so chucked a 3.9 v8 in - pics in archive.
Would i use another RV8? It's a brilliant engine - tough as old boots and when it dies it'll be because it is properly knackered and because some bit of software says so. No
I'd go for a diesel. Similar power available from a diesel but 40 - 50+ mpg, which given that you'll be pootling around with the rest of the traffic for 99% of the time (and you won't hear you v8 above 30 mph makes it a no-brainer for me.

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 21/11/15 by Simon]

Sam_68

posted on 21/11/15 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
I wonder how much the TDV8 in the current Range Rovers weighs? Being a Ford Duratorq, it might even be easy enough to bolt up to Ford inline boxes?

Ironically, it's much more powerful than the old RV8 petrol engine, despite being a diesel, which just goes to show how far technology has come...

I've got a Range Rover with one in, and with the windows up and all the sound insulation you get in modern RRs's, it actually sounds really nice - it's only when you wind the window down that you can hear the diesel death-rattle.

Irony

posted on 21/11/15 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by axle
Hi Chris
Thanks for your input, looking at achieve your built is fascinating, yes I do agree with the simple buit. Would you please tell me if the sump had to be shorten, would you be so kind to post pic, and what did you do radiator?

When I said cheers Chris I was thanking the original poster of the videos, not signing off. If you want info on his car you'll have to U2U him.

I didn't have to alter the sump in my Rover V8 powered Viento. I used a radiator from a TX1 taxi. It was the biggest radiator I could get into the nosecone.

Simon

posted on 21/11/15 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
I wonder how much the TDV8 in the current Range Rovers weighs? Being a Ford Duratorq, it might even be easy enough to bolt up to Ford inline boxes?

I'd be inclined to use a four cylinder bmw from a 120 etc, though I did toy with using a 330d donor. Alternatively, the Jag V6 diesel can be chipped the 260 bhp and tons of torque (same as LR engine but twin turbo) and prices are coming down

ATB

Simon

Sam_68

posted on 21/11/15 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, I've never weighed one, or even seen one out of the car, but I'm sure that the TDV8 is a hefty lump of a thing and I'll bet that the packaging of the turbos would cause problems in a 'Seven' too.

Definitely better with a 4-pot in such a small car (though that arguably applies to petrol too) - the suggestion was fairly tongue-in-cheek!

alfas

posted on 30/11/15 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
the rover v8 is a very leigthweight engine, considering its size.

not much heavier as a 4pot pinto....but much more fun...

you might be able to source a reasonably priced TVR 4.2, 4.3 or 5L one from a accident chimeara or griffith

or you stay with a classic 3.5L and easily to tune SU-Carbs.

[Edited on 30/11/15 by alfas]

Benzo

posted on 30/11/15 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Be Careful with the modern V8's.

I'm building a TR8, I took out the rover because it was 'old technology' I suppose what I didn't realise was how compact the rover was.

I'm now replaced the rover with a BMW V8 but I've very little TR8 left after getting it all installed!

For reference!

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 30/11/15 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hi - Chris here !

https://plus.google.com/116862370669776250647/posts/Kwt2W7YUXQU

for the radiator. nothing special.. It probably could do with a bit more cooling, but it got me round France end of march this yr with the skcc.

I bought the car with the v8 in it and it had been taken to bits and rebuilt.

Sump is standard, but the Xtreme is probably a bit higher than some anyway - tho from when I had one with a pinto in, the standard pinto sump fitted too.

I essentially changed it from carbs to EFI using bike TBs- mainly for fun! I got 195hp and a fairly flat torque line 216 IIRC.

One good thing in my mind re the rover v8 is that it is not tooo wide at the top. When you get to DOHC on both sides, the engine would never have fitted in the xtreme.

v8 - you know you want to

(oh have to say that sadly with the air filter on and the bonnet, the inlet noise is dulled far too much.., but giving it some you can still hear it along with the exhaust, which is mad, and it is sweet )

ha, my post and the above went at the same time, same point re width.

also this post talks about my cooling setup:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=190356

[Edited on 30/11/15 by Chris_Xtreme]

nick205

posted on 30/11/15 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
They do sound good, but in such a small lightweight car a small engine is ample IMHO.

alfas

posted on 30/11/15 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Power-Tune-Rover-V8.htm

https://books.google.de/books?id=gmSavy1RPxEC&pg=PA2&lpg=PA2&dq=how+to+power+tune+rover+v8+engines&source=bl&ots=nh3AaqdwvY&si g=F7s7RQzKDgXgsA623u00RyP84Vk&hl=de&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiEk6DC5rjJAhVHnXIKHS_SAa8Q6AEIVjAH#v=onepage&q=how%20to%20power%20tune%20rover%20v 8%20engines&f=false

40inches

posted on 30/11/15 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

They do sound good, but in such a small lightweight car a small engine is ample IMHO.

That's the whole point of fitting one, that and the torque

froggy

posted on 30/11/15 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Rv8,s make a lovely noise but they don't make much power even when tuned but they have the advantage of being relatively straight forward to get a manual box for .

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

alfas

posted on 1/12/15 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
my 3.5l on SU carbs has made 220BHP on a rollng road....not too bad...and lots of fun driving!!!
Piooly

posted on 21/12/15 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Mine has a rover v8, pretty wild spec on the engine as it came out of a dragster and is fantastic. Sounds great and very very quick. My other car is a 4.5 TVR cerbera and the Lotus 7 is quicker in every way. Grip is fine in the dry as mine has 245's on the rear and 215's on the front.

Biggest issues is cooling. I ended up removing the mechanical water pump and using an electric water pump along with the biggest custom radiator I could squeeze in. Engine runs at 75 degrees which is perfect for a rover v8.

I also changed the chassis quite a bit and the engine sits much closer to the middle but I still have room for my clutch foot to the side of the pedal !!

Love the car, best thing I ever did.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/50/viewthread.php?tid=198349

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 21/12/15 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
My mate has an injected 5.0 v8 rover engine in his Westfield makes 335 bhp in a straight line it's the fastest car I have ever been in

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.