Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine oil lubrication system
bikecarbfred

posted on 7/12/15 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Engine oil lubrication system

We have an engine block. No squirters for cylinders walls and no pressurized oil feed for the piston pin. Everything relies on splish splash.

The crankshaft sits above the oil sump. When oil level is to the max level, the centre of the crank sits 7cm above the oil. When the crank rotates the big fins on the crankshaft would just skim or not even that along the oil when oil is at max level.

How can you get splish splash from that? Someone told me that it is like a hurricance down there.

The only way I can see them catching and splishing everything is when the car is being driven and oil in the sump is going left to fight back and forth. But what happens when the car is sat idle.

I am sure i'm missing something but I always thought the cranks splash into the oil in the sump

Nickp

posted on 7/12/15 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Oil will be squirting out of each big end bearing and 'splishy splashing' around
Dusty

posted on 8/12/15 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
' I always thought the cranks splash into the oil in the sump '

Cranks do not and must not do this. It would thrash the oil to a foam and all the rotating bearings would end up being fed mostly air.

bi22le

posted on 8/12/15 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Oil will be going on every surface. It will be splashing up the sides and all sorts.

In my head i have the idea that modern engines dont allow the balance bells to hit the pan oil as it uses energy and reduces performance. I would say that (depending on engine designer) trust what they have done.

Regarding hurricain down there comment. I would say so. Oil mist, 5k RPM of rotating metal and being thrown around, there wont be a dry part.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Nickp

posted on 8/12/15 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le

Regarding hurricain down there comment. I would say so. Oil mist, 5k RPM of rotating metal and being thrown around, there wont be a dry part.

Agreed, it'll be wetter than an otters pocket in there

snapper

posted on 8/12/15 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Notching the rod is an option

Used when fitting Cosworth rods to a Pinto without the Cosworth pump and spray bar

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

DW100

posted on 8/12/15 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
The normal way is that the oil pump pumps oil up to the main bearings, from there it travels through drillings inside the crank to the big ends and as can be seen on the top rod in the picture above through drilled holes to spray at the bottom of the piston. Neither the main bearing or the big ends are sealed at the side, so oil spills from the sides and is thrown about by the rotational forces of the crank.
The crank should not be in the oil. I once heard David Vizard describe it as the crank belly flopping onto the oil at 7000 RPM. You could imagine the forces involved breaking the crank.

Theshed

posted on 8/12/15 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
The howling gale in the sump is not just caused by the crank but also the pistons moving up and down shifting the air around. It actually wastes a lot of power hence folk knife edging the lobes of the crank and radiusing the block to improve the aerodynamics (that is hardcore!). Use of scavange pumps on a dry sump system also improves power output for the same reason - less air to move around if you are running a vacuum.

In a moment somebody running an Austin 7 engine will pop up to talk about the spit and hope crank lubrication system....

mcerd1

posted on 8/12/15 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Notching the rod is an option

Used when fitting Cosworth rods to a Pinto without the Cosworth pump and spray bar

^^ but in that case its just easier to fit a cossie 2wd pump and spray bar

bottom end built :D
bottom end built :D

-

bikecarbfred

posted on 8/12/15 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
So from what I learnt is that in my type of engine it is imperative that the oil feeds in the crank and also the oil feeds in the block feeding into the crank bearings are totally free because this is the only way I will get the splish splash (through the side of the main bearing - squirting and spiraling like a catherine wheel firework effect).

So with these blocked not only will it ruin the crank but can also ruin the cylinder walls. So a total fail of the engine in one go.

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 8/12/15 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theshed[/i

In a moment somebody running an Austin 7 engine will pop up to talk about the spit and hope crank lubrication system.... [/quote
or those of us old enough to remember the old stationary engines, Petter, Lister etc with the old quill dippers, but they always seemed to work..... I just tried to post a picture of a dry sump pan that we make for modern engines to try to illustrate, but failed. It went into the forum header but that was it.....

Paul Turner

posted on 9/12/15 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bikecarbfred
So from what I learnt is that in my type of engine it is imperative that the oil feeds in the crank and also the oil feeds in the block feeding into the crank bearings are totally free

That applies to every engine made. When assembled all the parts must be scrupulously clean and then the correct grade of oil used and changed regularly. Providing that is done the whole engine should be lubricated as intended.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.