Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: silly tart on Graham Norton?
Talon Motorsport

posted on 11/12/15 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
silly tart on Graham Norton?

Any body watch the silly tart that is 'Sia' on the Graham Norton show tonight? Is she more ridiculous than Lady GaGa or not, I mean WTF is that hair/wig about????
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dingz

posted on 11/12/15 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thought she had a great voice and now annoyingly though we don't know who she is. Sounded as she is a Londoner pretending to be American.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

Sam_68

posted on 12/12/15 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
She's Australian.

Fantastic voice and a very good songwriter, too.

Shes gay (not that it matters) and not especially attractive in the conventional pop-star sense, so I suspect that despite all the bollox about her wanting to maintain privacy, it's more likely to be image consultant who has decided that her best bet is a metaphorical brown paper bag.

If you type 'Sia Furler' into Google or YouTube, you'll find plenty of images of her without the wig, though:

^^^ And that one was taken 5 years ago.

craig1410

posted on 12/12/15 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
I can see why you might come to that conclusion but if you do a bit of background reading on Sia you'll find a very talented singer/songwriter who has suffered serious problems in the past with alcohol and drug addiction, depression and self harm. I've seen a few interviews with her and you can easily tell that she's not at all in the same vein as Lady GaGa etc. Sia comes across as a very vulnerable, slightly manic but very warm and genuine personality. Her wish to hide her face when singing is because she doesn't want to be recognised or famous and wants to be able to live normally without being recognised. She also has self-image issues and has faced quite a bit of cruelty because she doesn't fit the bill of the flawless female, whatever that actually is.

Personally I absolutely love Sia's voice and songs like Chandelier, Titanium, She Wolf, Breathe Me etc etc. She has also written or co-written songs for Beyoncé, Alicia Keys, Rihanna and Adele amongst others. She really is a talented artist.

Anyway, try listening to some of her songs if you can and maybe you'll appreciate her as the vocal artist she is rather than the slightly messed up human she also is.

Cheers,
Craig.

Sam_68

posted on 12/12/15 at 12:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410 Sia comes across as a very vulnerable, slightly manic but very warm and genuine personality.

This is true (and the bit about her being a very talented singer-songwriter). She comes across as being a really nice, fun, modest and grounded personality.

Whilst I'm aware of her past mental health issues, I'm still cynical enough to be in two minds whether that's the truth of the matter, though, as she quite happily performed without the wig long after she had 'recovered' from the worst of her depression... and there are less 'exhibitionistic' ways not to be recognisable in public, if that's what she wanted.

Still, whatever - she's turned out some pretty good music.

craig1410

posted on 12/12/15 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
I understand the cynicism regarding her 'issues' but I have to say it fits with the personality she displays when the mask is removed. She's not the strong, independent character you'll see in the likes of Beyoncé or Madonna or Rihanna. She seems very insecure to me. I'm no psychologist mind so could be wrong.

If you have a decent sound system, including a bad-ass sub-woofer then try listening to Titanium. You might need to hold the ornaments on the mantlepiece to stop them falling off...

Sam_68

posted on 12/12/15 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, I could be wrong, too - I fully acknowledge the demons she's had to contend with - just that the solution smacks of slightly-too-slick image promotion to me. Maybe it's an idea that was imposed upon her by her manager/promoter?

I'm happy to give her the benefit of the doubt, though, and whatever the truth, there seems to be a really nice person - as well as a great talent - there behind the wig.

bi22le

posted on 12/12/15 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
I heard an interview with her on the radio and thought she was funny and engaging. Opposite to what you guys are saying. I already knew of her and her music as i have seen her perform.

Supprised to hear people say this about her, maybe she had an off day.

Regarding the whole face covering thing, dont bother me. She is a musician and i wish thats all people judged her on. No one ever digged at Gorilaz yet could google them!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

craig1410

posted on 12/12/15 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
Have a listen to a very candid interview with her a few years ago and see what you think.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aNGVis4OFcI

Sam_68

posted on 12/12/15 at 01:20 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, and in that interview she's saying that she wouldn't do the tours, promos and live shows in future, whilst acknowledging that the business of selling albums in large volume requires them.

Which still makes me think that the whole wig thing is maybe a compromise rather cleverly cooked up by her agent and promoters to both overcome her resistance to the necessary touring and promotion, whilst also acting as a gimmick that generates a vast amount of publicity by getting people to talk about her (QED).

Left to her own devices, I think maybe she'd have ended up as a songwriter for others, with a very niche following for her own (unpromoted) albums.

andyace

posted on 12/12/15 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Ridiculous ... erm no ..... extremely talented and down to earth ... yes, do some research on her and you will see just how talented she is
craig1410

posted on 12/12/15 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
I'm assuming the OP's lack of come-back means he has fallen in love with Sia's music and is working his way through her albums as we speak. Perhaps learning the lyrics too.

blakep82

posted on 12/12/15 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
I hope he's feeling a bit silly himself for saying someone who's very talented (whether you're a fan of her music or not) who wants to make an appearance to talk to her fans, and perform in person, but who isn't really comfortable in herself and feels she isn't good enough, who actually wanted to wear a full mask on the show for those reasons, but really forced herself into that wig covering half her face, a "silly tart"...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Neville Jones

posted on 13/12/15 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
Yeah, and in that interview she's saying that she wouldn't do the tours, promos and live shows in future, whilst acknowledging that the business of selling albums in large volume requires them.

Which still makes me think that the whole wig thing is maybe a compromise rather cleverly cooked up by her agent and promoters to both overcome her resistance to the necessary touring and promotion, whilst also acting as a gimmick that generates a vast amount of publicity by getting people to talk about her (QED).

Left to her own devices, I think maybe she'd have ended up as a songwriter for others, with a very niche following for her own (unpromoted) albums.

You can't comment on the wig issue, Martin.

If that pic at the top of your LinkedIn account is really you, (and the race guys say it is), then you got yours from the same supplier off the shelf as Bernie Eccleston.

Cheers,
Nev.

bi22le

posted on 13/12/15 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
I deliberately watch this back on catch up to see what she said.

The answer is very little!

I think the OP is really pinning his statement on the whole face hiding thing. He has a right to his opinion but silly tart is probably a little harsh.

She is very talented and, if you hear her interviewed, is a very light hearted funny person with an infectious laugh.

Ignore the whole face covering thing and take her on her merit.

Her accent is all over the place which confuses my ears!

[Edited on 13/12/15 by bi22le]

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.