Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Windscreen fitting to tubular chassis?
Twin40

posted on 14/12/15 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Windscreen fitting to tubular chassis?

Hey Guys,

I've been searching around on here for some info regarding windscreens and how they are fitted to a tube frame chassis?

I'd like to design a spaceframe BEC with full roof/doors/windscreen and i know i've seen a few peoples projects on here but can't find the specific details. The screen would be bonded into place.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Smoking Frog

posted on 14/12/15 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
As they normally sit in a rebate or recess, it's this that will have to be replicated. Not a hard job to do. However even if the screen is mounted midway on the tube, some kind of fillet or cover would be needed to cover the gap. I'm guessing the screen would look better flush with the front of the tube which would require a wider cover maybe 60mm wide. It's this cover I see as the main problem, in particular the size and fixing method. I would start by looking at existing plastic covers and trim and how they are fixed. It may end up looking too bulky though.
iank

posted on 14/12/15 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
I suspect the best place to start looking is how they do it on sandrail's

I think it comes down to o either welding in a flange around the opening, or building an inner frame and riveting/screwing it into the tubes.

Need to be a little careful with bonding in as vibration/stiff suspension will tend to crack the screen unless your frame is super rigid.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

nick205

posted on 14/12/15 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Experience with having tintop windscreens replaced suggests they are bonded in place. The car body has a recess to facilitate this and from what I know having windscreens made is a £££££ activity. With that in mind, I'd suggest your best getting the screen you intend to use and making a frame to suit it. I'd also go as far as to say that bonding it in place is a learned job, not a garage/hobby activity.

Have you considered buying something to do the job, might be cheaper and quicker

ETA...I believe the bonded screen approach adds to the stiffness of the body as well. A poorly judged version may be prone to splitting or weakening the structure overall.

On older cars the windscreen was held in place with a rubber seal. Easy to remove, but frightening to fit - I did them on Peugeot 205s a few times and closed my eyes for the last pop part.

[Edited on 14/12/15 by nick205]

Twin40

posted on 14/12/15 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info, i had assumed the addition of a flange for the screen to bond to would be the way to go - just haven't seen it done so i'll look at those sandrail's and see what they came up with.

I will not be bonding the screen in myself, far too technical for me!

Thanks again.

Twin40

posted on 14/12/15 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Just looked at the Ariel Nomad screen - £1794 option! Jesus

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/ariel/nomad/verdict

nick205

posted on 14/12/15 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Again, working from memory, I think windscreens are made with large metal moulds. I believe the profiled glass is heated and draped over the mould to achieve the curves. Glass is hard to cut and expensive to bend.

nick205

posted on 14/12/15 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
This shows what's involved - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH3fAyJrEYo

mark chandler

posted on 14/12/15 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
We used to do this when racing landrovers.

Weld a thin strip of steel inside the roll tube to sit the screen on.

Get a sheet of ply, cut it to fit inside the hoop allow a minimum 1/4" gap around the outside, then take to you local glazing firm who can cut a piece of 8mm laminate to this template.

Load the rebate with black silicon, couple of 1/4" packers on the bottom edge then push the glass into place making sure the glass is never in contact with the tube and leave to go off, it will crack if in direct contact when you bounce around.

Lay a second silicon bead on the outside of the glass to hide and protect the glass edges and give a neat finish.

Should cost less than £50 if they have some scrap Glass in.

You really need a strip of below the glass to mount some landrover wipers below the glass.

Regards Mark

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.