Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steering after a shunt
tegwin

posted on 14/12/15 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Steering after a shunt

Whilst waiting to reverse parallel park with the wheels turned at full lock some daft lady tried to squeeze past and twatted the back of her mong-mobile against my front wheel... No visible damage to my car bar a small scrape on the rim... no idea how she missed the wingmirror/bumper..

Car drives perfectly ok in a straight line etc with no vibration but the steering wheel is now most deffinately not lined up with the direction of travel... out by about 3-4 mins on the clock.

Just been under the car and the boot on the track rod end on that side has come away but I cant see much play... Something must have bent to move the steering wheel.... Not sure what though.... any thoughts from the collective? If I replace both track rod ends and get the tracking done do we think that would suffice?

Rather annoyed because the husband (who wasnt there at the time) is convinced its my fault.... im standing by the fact I was stationary, indicating with my reverse lights on and his wife hit a stationarry object...

[Edited on 14/12/15 by tegwin]

[Edited on 14/12/15 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

nick205

posted on 14/12/15 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Long been convinced that if your tracking is out something is bent or worn.

My first check would be a bent steering arm, easily checked with a ruler edge.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 14/12/15 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for poss steering rack arm if it's very slight you may be able to dial it out my just doing the tracking .
maccmike

posted on 14/12/15 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Can you not ask her to prang the other side for symmetry. Sure she'll understand.
tegwin

posted on 14/12/15 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
that would make sense I guess, I dont think the track rods them selves have ever been replaced (2001 car). For piece of mind im tempted to replace both track rods and both rod ends.... expensive perhaps but worth it? Or just replace the obviously scrap track rod end and see how it goes...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

tegwin

posted on 14/12/15 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maccmike
Can you not ask her to prang the other side for symmetry. Sure she'll understand.

I dont think she would..... she didnt speak much English atall!

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 14/12/15 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure that if you hit a stationary object its always your fault, no matter what you think of the positioning of that stationary object. Well that was what I was told by some legal eagle type anyway.

So if you were stationary then there is no way they can blame you.

If the steering rack is rubber mounted has it shunted the whole rack across?

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
tegwin

posted on 14/12/15 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, that is also my belief....

Steering rack is bolted to the front subframe so If its moved, it will have snapped the casting.

If you jack up one front wheel with the other sat on the floor and then push/pull the wheel up in the air would you expect to feel movement?

perksy

posted on 14/12/15 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Probably better off getting it right up in the air so you can have a good look underneath

Bent steering arm to start with by the sound of it and when you get the tracking checked if its a mile out you'll need to dig a little deeper....

DW100

posted on 15/12/15 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
I've seen all sorts of things bent from this type of accident.

Track rod ends

Track rods

Lower ball joint

Lower Arm (wishbone)

Suspension strut

Subframe

Sometimes the bend is so slight it can be difficult to work out what happened.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.