Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Calculating Offset...
scootz

posted on 14/12/15 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Calculating Offset...

I’m trying to calculate offset for a change of wheels and wondered if someone can please have a look at my maths / logic?

I have 2 dimensions I'm sure of… 7” rims and 106mm backspace… so…

7” = 177.8mm

177.8mm / 2 = 88.9mm

The backspace is 106mm

106mm – 88.9 = 17.1mm

ET = 17

Is that right?

I only ask as when I look at the ‘backspace to offset’ conversion charts (see pic below), they come up with something else. Their logic apparently being 106mm backspace = 4.17”. The convergence point of the 7” rim and 4.17” backspace on the chart = 3 (approx).

It's Evolution Baby!

matt_claydon

posted on 14/12/15 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Standard wheel width is measured to a different place from backspace, hence the discrepancy:

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa48/afmomto2/WheelBackspacing.jpg

[Edited on 14/12/15 by matt_claydon]

anthony1

posted on 14/12/15 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Offset?????

Just a thought.......I am sure you are aware of this anyway , 7" rims are bead to bead ....so the actual rim is possibly about 8". Usually if I am doing a quick check to see if a wheel might be ok , I would measure the back depth by placing a straight edge over the rim and measuring to the mounting face. Sure you would have done it that way too. If you measure your rim from outside edge to outside edge....then half that , you might get an answer that fits in with the chart???
scootz

posted on 14/12/15 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys.

I'm taking the 7" from the stamp on the wheels and the backspace I've measured is indeed to the outer lip.

It's Evolution Baby!

anthony1

posted on 14/12/15 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
I think you need to measure the wheel from lip to lip........this will be greater than 7", then half that measurement and calculate as you did before. The offset figure , either positive or negative refers to the relationship between the centreline of the wheel and the mounting face of the hub. A wheel with 0 offset would have exactly equal amount of rim to each side of the hub mounting face . Positive offset would put the wheel further out in the arch....negative further in.....
loggyboy

posted on 15/12/15 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
It doesn't matter where you measure width from as offset is taken from cl of rim.

Mistral Motorsport

Rosco86

posted on 15/12/15 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
dont forget the consider your tyre size if changing wheel width etc

My Build Thread

v8kid

posted on 15/12/15 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Easy way to measure is put steel rule across rim and measure distance to mounting flange. Subtract the distance from front rim to mounting surface measured same way and divide the difference by 2.

As others say the discrepancy is due to different reference points

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 15/12/15 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all.

It's Evolution Baby!

snapper

posted on 15/12/15 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Complete Kit Car mag shows how and has pictures for those of use that find reading difficult

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

v8kid

posted on 15/12/15 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Complete Kit Car mag shows how and has pictures for those of use that find reading difficult

Hmm! Pictures! Are they shiny as well?

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.