Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BBC lost MotoGP now can't afford F1
Surrey Dave

posted on 21/12/15 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
BBC lost MotoGP now can't afford F1

BBC lost MotoGP now can't afford F1

Bloody tragic , brilliant coverage from Suzy and the team.

If the Beeb can't afford stuff you wonder what we are paying for with the licence fee!

Perhaps it would help if they didn't muck up Top Gear one of their biggest global products!!!

Too many channels/providers, what are we the viewers supposed to do buy a subscription to EVERY channel just to watch one or two programs on each ,world's gone crazy!!!!!

I'm definitely too old for this Sh1t!!!!

[Edited on 21/12/15 by Surrey Dave]

morcus

posted on 21/12/15 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
I saw this today and feel pretty much the same, looks like I won't be watching F1 any more. It doesn't say what will happen regarding web coverage but I imagine that will be scaled back a lot too.

I don't have any subscription TV because like Dave said, there's a couple of programs on each service I'd want to watch.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

nick205

posted on 21/12/15 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hey, it could be worse! Use the F1 watching time to do something more productive like car building

Dick Axtell

posted on 21/12/15 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like BBC has decided that it has to spend its licence income more carefully. So if they're outbid on any of the more popular shows/events, then they will lose the transmission rights.

As an observation, I encountered a Brit who has lived in the States for nearly 50 years. He no longer has any broadcast/cable TV; he only has video/DVD stuff. Why?? "Because the majority of US TV is so cr*p!!". His words, not mine.

Hope we don't end up like that.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

Jamesc

posted on 21/12/15 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
The BBC's rights have been sold over to Channel 4 for the next 3 years.. Same amount of coverage and apparently no adverts during the race.

[Edited on 21/12/15 by Jamesc]

loggyboy

posted on 21/12/15 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
This pleases me as ITV coverage was dire during their last attempt.
Will be interesting what presenters are earmarked.

I Wasn't a fan of any of the BBC presenters except Ben Edwards and Tom Clarkson, (and Mcnish to an extent). Time to loose DC and EJ as they suck and get back someone like Gary Anderson to bring some good tech sections.

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/channel-4-becomes-terrestrial-home-of-formula-1?hootPostID=dde274dfb372ab4d0ede906f68a35e34

[Edited on 21-12-15 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

Nickp

posted on 21/12/15 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
I could watch it on Sky but won't be bothering TBH.
Now MotoGP, that is worth watching

Surrey Dave

posted on 21/12/15 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah But!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Jamesc
The BBC's rights have been sold over to Channel 4 for the next 3 years.. Same amount of coverage and apparently no adverts during the race.

[Edited on 21/12/15 by Jamesc]

Probably plenty of ads in the before and after section no doubt......................Ads if you watch on catchup..........

My personal view is that they couldn't have a better presenting team than they have now, although I think Allan McNish is one Scot too many!!!! , But I agree Gary Anderson was really good but he was prob too fat for modern TV , and also seen as too ' nerdy' as it seems everything has to be dumbed down so the the casual viewer doesn't get bored in their short attention span. Yet it is the technical side and politics that makes F1 interesting , certainly not the ontrack action!!!..................And I'm a massive fan by the way

p.s. Morcus your 'Cream' avatar makes me feel good and young again, first proper album I bought was by ' Cream', Sunshine Of Your Love, Crossroads, Politician, White Room........etc etc.................

mark chandler

posted on 21/12/15 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
There is lots of belt tightening going on with the BBC, it will get worse next year due to regulation.

All the fantastic nature programs, period drama's etc that on,y the BBC can produce are also at risk so this is only the thin edge of the wedge.

Do not forget, BBC is also radio!

loggyboy

posted on 21/12/15 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
I always used to say I was happy to the the license fee just for Topgear and F1 alone.. Can't see what im getting for my £145 a year now. BBC weather App and cbeebies is about all it provides that I/my family iuse/watch now.

Mistral Motorsport

Sam_68

posted on 21/12/15 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave Yet it is the technical side and politics that makes F1 interesting ...

The technical side has been straight-jacketed by the rules for years - lack of any will to allow significant innovation within the Formula is one of the main reasons I have absolutely no interest in F1 these days.

Looking on the bright side, hopefully the BBC will feel obliged to maintain an element of motorsport in its schedule, and we might get some decent coverage of other formulae and classes, instead of everything been focused on the over-hyped and over-priced Ecclestone Circus.

For those who are into F1, at least it's not as if the coverage has gone to pay-to-view?

David Jenkins

posted on 21/12/15 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
I don't care about F1 as I haven't found it entertaining for years (though I know many people still do) but I do wish that the Beeb would get out and show some other motor sports. There are many races on tracks around the country, usually with amateur participants just racing for the love of it.

I reckon it would be very popular.

[Edited on 21/12/15 by David Jenkins]

Surrey Dave

posted on 21/12/15 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
MotorTV - Eurosport

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I don't care about F1 as I haven't found it entertaining for years (though I know many people still do) but I do wish that the Beeb would get out and show some other motor sports. There are many races on tracks around the country, usually with amateur participants just racing for the love of it.

I reckon it would be very popular.

[Edited on 21/12/15 by David Jenkins]

MotorTV and Eurosport do a good job for other motorsports?, the later only being £2.99 pm for online content (or TV via HDMI), BSB as well which I reckon is the best racing on the planet.

Rod Ends

posted on 21/12/15 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
BBC will now be able offer more coverage of Lesbian Football
chillis

posted on 21/12/15 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Haven't been interested in F1 for years, sooo boring. Get out in your kit cars and go to an actual motor racing circuit and watch the real thing, far more interesting.
As for the bbc they have given virtually all there sporting rights away now, more interested in wasting our money on expensive costume drama's and dumbing down programs like strictly, which sadly we still have to pay for
Interestingly the hole in the bbc budget is aproximately top gears sized!

[Edited on 21/12/15 by chillis]

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

Surrey Dave

posted on 21/12/15 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Top Gear

quote:
Originally posted by chillis
Haven't been interested in F1 for years, sooo boring. Get out in your kit cars and go to an actual motor racing circuit and watch the real thing, far more interesting.
As for the bbc they have given virtually all there sporting rights away now, more interested in wasting our money on expensive costume drama's and dumbing down programs like strictly, which sadly we still have to pay for
Interestingly the hole in the bbc budget is aproximately top gears sized!

[Edited on 21/12/15 by chillis]

Top Gear - Punching not acceptable but should have dealt with more skillfully to avoid such huge revenue loss.

Us blokes can think we are older and mature...... but can still act like kids in the playground!!....... me included!

GeoffT

posted on 21/12/15 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
As long as ITV4 keep covering the BTCC championship I'll be happy - surely the most entertaining of the all the 4 wheel formulas...
HowardB

posted on 21/12/15 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
perhaps the 750MC can offer up some race rights,.. ?

I'd watch

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

loggyboy

posted on 21/12/15 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
perhaps the 750MC can offer up some race rights,.. ?

I'd watch

MotorsTV already cover 750 events IIRC

[Edited on 21-12-15 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

minibull

posted on 21/12/15 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Time name changed to Boiling, Baking, and Cookery as that covers 90% of programs .
David Jenkins

posted on 21/12/15 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffT
As long as ITV4 keep covering the BTCC championship I'll be happy - surely the most entertaining of the all the 4 wheel formulas...

Agreed! I also enjoy all the other race championships they show as part of the same programme.

Jon Ison

posted on 21/12/15 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone know how much Bernie charges? I doubt BBC could afford it to be honest.
loggyboy

posted on 21/12/15 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
Does anyone know how much Bernie charges? I doubt BBC could afford it to be honest.

About 15mil a season iirc

Mistral Motorsport

David Jenkins

posted on 21/12/15 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
That sounds right - the BBC News said that they had to save £35M, so 3 years of contract sold off is pretty close.

Shooter63

posted on 21/12/15 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I never watched f1 on bbc as I prefere what sky do, you will proberly find that bbc have sold off the rights to pay crapita their fee for making cost cuts, as others have said I'm not sure what the tax/licence fee is going on, no doubt we can look forward to such delights as ' full contact knitting' ' how much is your bog worth' ' celebrity toast making' and ' let's find a pop band who can't be arsed to do the hard work' type shite.

Shooter

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.