Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vista

posted on 7/1/16 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Vista

Hi All

I just wondered if Vista is still supported ?

I have an old, but hardly used Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo lap top running Vista Home Basic.
It connects via WiFi to my hub but that's where it stops. Won't connect to Google, won't check for updates,
won't even connect to Locostbuilders.

I've just bought a borescope and I'd quite like to use the lap tops screen.
Not having too much luck getting it on my phone either.

Can I borrow somebodies ten year old son or daughter? I'm too old for all this modern technology.

Cheers
Paul G

coozer

posted on 7/1/16 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Vista is not supported by Microsoft anymore, they are pouring everything into 10 and beyond....

Sounds like a hardware problem to me, have you check the wireless adapter in the lappy is mcompatible or set up correctly for your bang up to date router??

Saying that I've just had a right clart on with a newish laptop trying to connect an obd thing that needed a com port. Found a software solution for that one.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

monkeyarms

posted on 7/1/16 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Vista still supported until 2017

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?alpha=Windows%20Vista

posted on 7/1/16 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Vista is not supported by Microsoft anymore, they are pouring everything into 10 and beyond....

Sounds like a hardware problem to me, have you check the wireless adapter in the lappy is mcompatible or set up correctly for your bang up to date router??

Saying that I've just had a right clart on with a newish laptop trying to connect an obd thing that needed a com port. Found a software solution for that one.

Well I understand the first line of your reply….. then I need the ten year old.

Cheers. Sounds like I must persevere with getting it running on the phone. (Xperion)

Paul G

loggyboy

posted on 7/1/16 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Vista is no longer main stream supported, but neither is windows 7, which is still in mainstream use by most businesses.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/lifecycle

Mistral Motorsport

SteveRST

posted on 7/1/16 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Whether Vista is supported or not is kinda irrelevant - it should still connect to the internet fine

If it CAN establish a wifi conection to your router/hub, but CANNOT connect to the internet then it sounds like a DNS / IP problem.
This thread may help: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1692280/computer-connected-router-internet.html

mcerd1

posted on 7/1/16 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
As above - supported or not it should still work...

I've got machines running XP, 2000 and even 98SE - all of which connect to the internet no problem (well except for finding a browser program for 98 that can deal with modern web pages of course...)

Fujitsu Siemens machines have never been very good in my experience - so hardware faults are extremely likely

I vaguely remember issues with vista and WiFi (especially if its not up to date)

Can you connect it using a cable instead? (ie get windows and the drivers updated then try WiFi again)

[Edited on 7/1/2016 by mcerd1]

-

posted on 7/1/16 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
As above - supported or not it should still work...

I've got machines running XP, 2000 and even 98SE - all of which connect to the internet no problem (well except for finding a browser program for 98 that can deal with modern web pages of course...)

Fujitsu Siemens machines have never been very good in my experience - so hardware faults are extremely likely

I vaguely remember issues with vista and WiFi (especially if its not up to date)

Can you connect it using a cable instead? (ie get windows and the drivers updated then try WiFi again)

[Edited on 7/1/2016 by mcerd1]

The reason I described it in my first post as "old, but hardly used" is because it's the worlds slowest lap top.
It takes a good 7 or 8 minutes just to switch it on. The little blue ring revolving icon does more revs than my Lotus engine.

Several years ago I bought a Mini Mac and it just sits on the desk, 24hrs a day, doesn't update, doesn't crash, in fact the only
time I have to touch it is with internet (BT) probs or power cuts.

I'll have another go at the android phone and see if I can get the borescope going on that.

Thanks everyone.
Paul G

David Jenkins

posted on 7/1/16 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
As I told you the other day Paul - put Linux Mint on it! You'll be shocked at how fast it runs in comparison.

You run a Mac as your main machine, so Linux won't be too painful a swap, especially for an occasional-use machine.

britishtrident

posted on 7/1/16 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
If it is connection to the hub and can reach local it sounds like the DNS or Gateway settings are wrong,

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

posted on 7/1/16 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
As I told you the other day Paul - put Linux Mint on it! You'll be shocked at how fast it runs in comparison.

You run a Mac as your main machine, so Linux won't be too painful a swap, especially for an occasional-use machine.

I've nothing to loose so I'd give it a go.
As I can't download it at the moment how about if I buy it on disc? The one thing the lappy does have is a disc drive.

I did a Google and found this.

http://www.thelinuxshop.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=286&gclid=Cj0KEQiAtri0BRDLoaCF95e7o_sBEiQA_pgRQxet9WQ-8-qA13D97_wV1Gr34EBhggq0X oLrL7ha34waAs_U8P8HAQ

£6.49 isn't out of the way, assuming it's the right version.

One thing I do wonder is how to get rid of all the Microsoft stuff that's on there?

Cheers
Paul G

p.s.
If I could remove the unwanted stuff with a thermit lance and weld the new stuff in then no problem.

serieslandy

posted on 7/1/16 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Can you not download on the mac and stick it on a flash drive?
Other than that I have no idea how to get it to install Linux.

David Jenkins

posted on 7/1/16 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Paul,

Did you find out whether your machine has a CD-ROM or a DVD? The reason I ask is that the disk you can buy is a DVD, which is not much use if you can't load it. Anyway - I can make you a DVD, no trouble - I've done it often enough (I might even have a disk from a slightly earlier release that you can play with).

Otherwise you have to put it on a USB memory stick, which (a) has to be big enough, and (b) you have to be able to boot the machine from that drive. Easy on modern machines, but may not be on older ones.

One afterthought - do you still have the Vista disks that came with your machine? Maybe a system reload might fix the problems.

mcerd1

posted on 7/1/16 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
The reason I described it in my first post as "old, but hardly used" is because it's the worlds slowest lap top.
It takes a good 7 or 8 minutes just to switch it on. The little blue ring revolving icon does more revs than my Lotus engine.

Several years ago I bought a Mini Mac and it just sits on the desk, 24hrs a day, doesn't update, doesn't crash, in fact the only
time I have to touch it is with internet (BT) probs or power cuts.

Fujitsu Siemens machine running vista (and by the sounds of it a fairly low spec one sr that) would be enough to put anyone off PC's for life.....

My win7 machines have all been very stable and pretty quick too, just done a fresh install of win7 on the oldest one using a solid state drive instead of a hard disk - now it boots up in 20 second from off or about 1 second from sleep mode

Is there anything special this old machine has that you need (like a real serial port for example) or is it just a cheap windows machine that you need?

-

posted on 8/1/16 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
All I wish to do is to use the screen of the lappy as the display for the borescope / endoscope that I bought.

If I go to [ start ] [ computer ] it says its a DVD RW Drive (F)

Pic of mini disc in drive, + scope
Description
Description

The lappy does say connected, but if I click on any internet site it comes up can't connect to the internet.

Description
Description

Paul G

mcerd1

posted on 8/1/16 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Try plugging it directly into your broadband router with a network cable - that way you can quickly work out if its just a WiFi issue or not

-

David Jenkins

posted on 8/1/16 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
All I wish to do is to use the screen of the lappy as the display for the borescope / endoscope that I bought.

Excellent! In that case I'll make a DVD for you - Probably Linux Mint. You can try it without installing it permanently; it will be a little slow, but it will give you an idea whether you like it or not. It will be useful as we can try to connect to the internet from Linux... I've NEVER had connection problems with Linux, and dozens of problems with Windoze.

Afterthought - is your machine 32-bit or 64-bit? "Control Panel" & "System" should tell you (names might be different - I was looking at my Win10 machine!). If you don't know, I'll bring 2 disks and you can try both.

[Edited on 8/1/16 by David Jenkins]

posted on 8/1/16 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 907

Excellent! In that case I'll make a DVD for you - Probably Linux Mint. You can try it without installing it permanently; it will be a little slow, but it will give you an idea whether you like it or not. It will be useful as we can try to connect to the internet from Linux... I've NEVER had connection problems with Linux, and dozens of problems with Windoze.

Afterthought - is your machine 32-bit or 64-bit? "Control Panel" & "System" should tell you (names might be different - I was looking at my Win10 machine!). If you don't know, I'll bring 2 disks and you can try both.

[Edited on 8/1/16 by David Jenkins]

Hi David,

After following your prompts, (I'd have not found it without) it's a 32bit.

Actually it's more like a threepenny bit.

Cheers,
Paul G

David Jenkins

posted on 8/1/16 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
I'll sort something out, and get back to you soon.

posted on 8/1/16 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I'll sort something out, and get back to you soon.

Many thanks
Paul G

posted on 12/1/16 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
I am deeply indebted to David who has given up his time to sort my problem.

I'm told "we're almost there," and just need another 45 gallon drum of "midnight oil" to complete the installation.

I have already seen the borescope camera in action, although we didn't have a suitable object to photograph but
I do now have some wonderful shots of chocolate chip cookies.

Many thanks,
Paul G

David Jenkins

posted on 12/1/16 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
No problem Paul.

After all, you've spent ages in the past doing "just a little welding job" for me, that actually took hours!

(and I've sorted the graphics problem - expect a U2U later on today...)

[Edited on 12/1/16 by David Jenkins]

posted on 14/1/16 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks to the technical wizardry of David all my bits are working.

Cheers

Paul G

sent from my lappy

mcerd1

posted on 14/1/16 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
I assume you gave up on vista and went with mint then ?

-

nick205

posted on 14/1/16 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
From where we sit supplying IT hardware to a variety of businesses, most seem to have skipped Vista and moved from XP to 7 and beyond. I've no idea if Vista is supported, but it doesn't seem liked by businesses.

ETA...when my MS XP laptop died a few years ago I moved straight to W7. It is what it is. Most of the time it works, but now and then MS like to mess about and update it.

[Edited on 14/1/16 by nick205]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.