Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Who's using 6 point harnesses?
Rosco86

posted on 7/1/16 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Who's using 6 point harnesses?

As above, I was going to use 4 point harnesses but most people seem to say the lap strap rides up,

Problem is I've only got 4 mounting points on my chassis,

I'm just wondering if the two crotch straps could go down through the seat and bolt to each side with the lap straps

Does anyone have there's like this?

Thanks, Rosco

My Build Thread

mark chandler

posted on 7/1/16 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
I welded an extra bar across the floor, welded 1/4" steel plate across the gap, spot welded nuts on the back and bolted through.

I do not want my wedding tackle split asunder or carved up in an accident, so do it right, it does not take long.

If you draw out what I think you are describing it will not do anything in an accident, just a couple of loose lap straps running under your legs.

[Edited on 7/1/16 by mark chandler]

Rosco86

posted on 7/1/16 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I'm not going to bodge things, if not I will just go with 4 point for now

Page 16 in this PDFs seems to suggest it's ok

https://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/2009_Competition_Instructions.pdf

My Build Thread

mark chandler

posted on 7/1/16 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
"This anti-sub strap design requires sitting on the straps or having a thin seat panel allowing the straps running rearwards right underneath the driver’s buttock"

Most cars I have seen have the belts fastened to the floor and rearward, so this design would not apply, all other designs in the book show the fastening below your crotch.

macc man

posted on 7/1/16 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
I used six point harnesses in my seven. I fitted an extra square bar beneath the seat with an eye bolt in the centre. I had to make a slot in the seat base to pass the harness straps through. worked quite well and gave extra safety for track use.
JimSpencer

posted on 8/1/16 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rosco86
Yeah I'm not going to bodge things, if not I will just go with 4 point for now

Page 16 in this PDFs seems to suggest it's ok

https://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/2009_Competition_Instructions.pdf

Hi

If you're mounting it in some single seaters - (especially older ones, my 88 Reynard is like this) then the bottom rear seatbelt mounting is - easiest to describe as;- a double mount on one point - it works because you're sat on the floor of the car (apart from 6mm of high density foam!)
It's probably not ideal, and as you've the word 'seat' in your post and almost certainly not sitting directly on the floor then it shouldn't be an option

competed with 4 point belts and it was a matter of getting the lap belt tight, really tight..

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 8/1/16 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
I did use a 6-point in the Westfield. Westfield had provided four pickup points at the rear, two per side, one forward, one aft.
I guess these were in place for shorter/taller drivers lap belts?, but nonetheless, provided the crotch strap pickup points. The crotch straps went on the forward mounts, passed under the seat, just in front of the bum contact area. Worked really well.

Since all the mountings were all simply 7/16" bushings welded straight to the chassis side rails, really simple to put them wherever lights your fire.

Rosco86

posted on 8/1/16 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
i dont no then, i could add another rail in but im all painted etc (maybe bolt a rail in), i am only using grp seats that are right on the floor and the side mounts are in the correct msa spec position, if not i will just go with 4 points

My Build Thread

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 8/1/16 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Errr... decide on where to put the bushes, remove paint on and around desired area, weld on the bushes, repaint affected area, pull a beer.

It may well involve drilling out yet more rivets, removing and replacing the alloy panels, ensuring plenty of rivet rattle the next time the chassis is rotated. If you're rotating the chassis when/after hitting something on the track, you'll be happier that you've fitted the crotch straps well.

Rosco86

posted on 8/1/16 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
Errr... decide on where to put the bushes, remove paint on and around desired area, weld on the bushes, repaint affected area, pull a beer.

It may well involve drilling out yet more rivets, removing and replacing the alloy panels, ensuring plenty of rivet rattle the next time the chassis is rotated. If you're rotating the chassis when/after hitting something on the track, you'll be happier that you've fitted the crotch straps well.

yeah like i said im not going to bodge anything, i will simply just get 4 points and see how i get on,

saying that i rang and spoke to Sabelt and they said the side mounts would be fine, they just like them to be mounted rearward of the crotch hole

My Build Thread

prawnabie

posted on 8/1/16 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Look up degloving - it may make you change your mind!
Rosco86

posted on 8/1/16 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie

do my comments not make sense? im asking the question before i do anything

My Build Thread

Rosco86

posted on 8/1/16 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
I have just rang and spoke to TRS Motorsport, had a good chat with the bloke who was very knowledgeable stating force values etc, he said a lot of single seaters mount there 6 points to the outside chassis rails behind the lap mounts, he said the angle will be fine, he said the reason for not using the same mount for multiple straps is down to the forces, I've sent him some pictures of my harness mounts to see what he thinks, Im more than happy to double up on my lower mounts because i overkilled them anyway with two lots of plates

My Build Thread

prawnabie

posted on 14/1/16 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rosco86
quote:

do my comments not make sense? im asking the question before i do anything

they make perfect sense, but you might want to look up the cons of fitting them if you are only fitting to stop the lap straps riding up.

IMHO from what I have seen at shows, most people don't know/can't be bothered to set up 4 points properly (esp for an almost everyday vehicle at can become tedious)

nick205

posted on 14/1/16 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
In my MK Indy I fitted 4 point harnesses as that's what the chassis was setup for. I can advise that the lap portion of the harness rode up and submarining would have been a concern long term (I sold the car). Given the choice I'd weld in the fixing points and go for 6 point harnesses to keep the lap belt down where it should be. IIRC 6 point harnesses weren't much more than 4 point ones either and you only need one set.

Rosco86

posted on 28/1/16 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
but you might want to look up the cons of fitting them if you are only fitting to stop the lap straps riding up.

IMHO from what I have seen at shows, most people don't know/can't be bothered to set up 4 points properly (esp for an almost everyday vehicle at can become tedious)

would you just advise to get 4 points then?

My Build Thread

prawnabie

posted on 28/1/16 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
I would get the 6 points and only use the crotch straps for trackday use (if needed).
Rosco86

posted on 28/1/16 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I would get the 6 points and only use the crotch straps for trackday use (if needed).

And bolt them to the lap belt mounts?

My Build Thread

prawnabie

posted on 28/1/16 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
No I would put a specific mounting point under the seat for them

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.