Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Slightly OT: Defender static roof load
PSpirine

posted on 12/1/16 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Slightly OT: Defender static roof load

Bit of an odd one...

What do we think the static roof load capacity of a 110 Defender would be?

The reason I ask is we're thinking of creating a seating/viewing platform on the roof for summer camping and events, so would want it to hold ~6 people on it.

Would obviously be on a 10 (or so) point mounted roof rack, not on the roof skin!!

In my head I'd be surprised if it wouldn't hold over a tonne in complete safety, but what's the LC consensus?

Obviously this is for stationary condition on level ground only, hence the question, as most roof load discussions are based around driving limitations, which I suspect would max out due to stability long before the structure becomes an issue...

nick205

posted on 12/1/16 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
I'd imagine an LR dealer would be able to give you a figure.

The issue I see is the moving load as people get themselves up and down.

I once went on an elephant ride. As a fit and able person I did not see any great issue with this, but I had to really hold on to avoid being thrown off.

hizzi

posted on 12/1/16 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure it's 100kg legally but with a full roof rack you will be fine had four on deck chairs on mine no problem , not very stable though depending on your suspension
Like everything defender it will do more than the book by a long way

HowardB

posted on 12/1/16 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
there are roof rack systems for the LR that go beyond the gutter, and esp in the case of a full length extension over the bonnet, the load can be taken directly to the chassis.

I am constantly surprised by the (ab)use that LR are put to,..

hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 12/1/16 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Just remember that even when the load is spread over 10-or-so point mounted roof rack, it's still only connected to the flimsy lip of the roof, in turn connected to the ali bodywork via a dozen or so bolts. You've probably already seen the roof tents that are designed to take 2 people (there is an advised maximum weight limit), which bolt onto roof racks as well, so two could be achievable for a full-length rack on a 90 or 110.

Better option, in my opinion, is not to loo at ordinary roof racks but the extended ones that start in front of the cab area and mount onto the top of the bumper on the chassis rail, and rear crossmember at the rear, as well as the roof gutter. More expensive, but I'd feel a lot happier with that weight distribution.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

PSpirine

posted on 12/1/16 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys

The 100kg/dealer number is always for a driven condition, and is (at least on Land Rovers) always limited by stability rather than roof crush.

Wouldn't build a rack that goes down to chassis in front of bonnet (as that would involve more welding than my kit car chassis!! ), but sufficiently mounted all around the roof should do the trick!

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 12/1/16 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PSpirine
Thanks guys

The 100kg/dealer number is always for a driven condition, and is (at least on Land Rovers) always limited by stability rather than roof crush.

Wouldn't build a rack that goes down to chassis in front of bonnet (as that would involve more welding than my kit car chassis!! ), but sufficiently mounted all around the roof should do the trick!

THIS is what I was talking about; quite common for those carrying longer loads that are prone to flex, so no major work.

But I also noticed this slight variation of the design where it could mount to the bulkhead or bulkhead/windscreen mounting bracket. Both would offer increased (better) weight distribution.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

HowardB

posted on 12/1/16 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
quote:
Originally posted by PSpirine
Thanks guys

THIS is what I was talking about; quite common for those carrying longer loads that are prone to flex, so no major work.

But I also noticed this slight variation of the design where it could mount to the bulkhead or bulkhead/windscreen mounting bracket. Both would offer increased (better) weight distribution.

As above, it has legs that bolt to the front bumper mounting - no welding required, and struts that go to where the windscreen hinge points used to be. I have seen several 100kg come off these after a long trek to Iceland, quite often 2 stood on the roof to load/unload.

I (may) have transported a strumech versatower on one before,.... 350kg- ish

hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

gremlin1234

posted on 12/1/16 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
I think I would add same jacks/ axle stands / other support at ground level, something like the rear legs you get on trailers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.