Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Short term insurance
hughpinder

posted on 13/1/16 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Short term insurance

I am giving my old car to my nephew.
Unfortunately it is not currently on the road, so I need to MOT,tax and insure it so I can drive it over to him. What is the cheapest way to insure it to get it in for an MOT (tomorrow) and drive it from Lincoln to Chester (Saturday)? I will tax it in his name so that he can keep the road tax.
Thanks
Hugh

tegwin

posted on 13/1/16 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Take out a policy with someone like direct line and then cancel within the 14 day cooling off period?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

shindha

posted on 13/1/16 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Get your nephew to insure it in his name and add you on for the day or two (usually works out cheaper for a week) on to his policy.
owelly

posted on 13/1/16 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
I've used Aviva short term insurance to move cars about but a lot of these types of policies don't let you tax a vehicle. As suggested, get the new owner to register, tax and insure the car in his name with you as a named driver, unless you already have a policy that covers you to dive a vehicle not belonging to you, in which case, just make sure you and the new owner have signed the V5.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

posted on 13/1/16 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back to discuss the best options available.
Regards,
Dan.

nick205

posted on 14/1/16 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Working from memory here, but I used to insure SWMBO as a named driver on her car as the car was registered in my name - IIRC it was the cheapest way to do it. It may be worth insuring the car for your nephew with you as a named driver for a week to allow you to move it.

hughpinder

posted on 14/1/16 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the ideas chaps. Unfortunately insuring it for my nephew isn't possible yet as he is not old enough until his birthday in a few weeks.I will transferred the car to his name so the road tax can continue in his name. Will look at the direct line/adrian flux options now (couldn't get the MOT until tomorrow anyway so a little more time!)
Thanks again
Hugh

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

posted on 19/1/16 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Did you manage to get it sorted in the end?
Regards,
Dan.

hughpinder

posted on 19/1/16 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
hi Dan
Yes thanks for your efforts. Unfortunately I had left it quite late to get the details on here, and ended up going with tempcover.com as I could sort it instantly online, but will definitely get back to your guys when I'm looking again.
Glad I taxed it - drove past two ANPR vans on the way over!
Regards
Hugh

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.