Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Westfield Lower Ball Joints (Ausin Maxi) Availability
lordbenny

posted on 13/1/16 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Westfield Lower Ball Joints (Ausin Maxi) Availability

Mine are the two bolt Austin Maxi jobbies available from Westfield for £23 + delivery EACH! Robbing b&@£ards!

Found some at Rally Design £9:50 + delivery each http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=11839

Anyone know of anywhere cheaper?

nick205

posted on 13/1/16 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Your local motor factor should do them, just reliant on you to pick them up.

nick205

posted on 13/1/16 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at ebay prices £23 doesn't seem outlandish.

lordbenny

posted on 13/1/16 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Your local motor factor should do them, just reliant on you to pick them up.

Eurocar parts.... £23.48 http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Austin_Maxi+2_1.7_1981/p/car-parts/suspension-and-steering/suspension/suspension-arm-and-suspension-joints/?61775056 0&1&26b4e38187df4d1fc463d37543699bdc3aac2838&000019

I think Rally Design it is!

nick205

posted on 13/1/16 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
RD seems reasonable!

Dick Axtell

posted on 13/1/16 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
And where were the RD versions manufactured? Bear in mind the old adage - "U get what U pay for", meaning cheap doesn't always equal value (Quality, reliability??).

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

prawnabie

posted on 13/1/16 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
I bought 6 joints from RD (2x drag links 2x TRE's and 2x lower BJ's). 2 needed new boots at 6months and 3 more need new boots for the MOT a year later. The one that didn't need replacing failed the same MOT on excessive play!
lordbenny

posted on 13/1/16 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Axtell
And where were the RD versions manufactured? Bear in mind the old adage - "U get what U pay for", meaning cheap doesn't always equal value (Quality, reliability??).

You could say that, however, in this eBay/internet day and age I've personally been a lot less sceptical about price. I would imagine that the rally design items are of a very similar quality to all the others. I don't buy the most expensive purely on the adage that because they're expensive they must be better quality. This actually is certainly not always the case in my experience. That said.....yes I may well be taking a punt....they're easy to replace if they pack up....I'll keep the receipt!

[Edited on 13/1/16 by lordbenny]

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 13/1/16 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
I'm probably talking out of my (insert politically incorrect item here), I'm a totally misinformed, misplaced individual, who's comments are worth nothing. Any misinterpreted advice I may offer is worthless, even correctly interpreted advice isn't worth a (another politically incorrect item here).

I suspect that certain vendors balljoints are not via QH, Delphi, or other OEM-type supplier. They may be unsafe too.

However, if you're not on a track, most cheapies will probably be quite OK.

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 14/1/16 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
QH went bust a good few years ago.....

As I recall around the time they went people complained hte market was flooded with cheap copies. The QH brand was made using .....[blah blah] where the cheap ones where just pressed in and came loose quite quickly.

Considering how important this part is, it might be worth chatting to your local motor factor face to face and looking at what they supply.

lordbenny

posted on 14/1/16 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
And there was me thinking Rally Design were a relatively reputable company!
britishtrident

posted on 14/1/16 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Since the Quinton Hazel plant was closed following the take over by Klarius getting decent quality ball joints at a reaonable price is getting more and more difficult.

I have had premature complete failures of arb links and prematurely worn track rod ends bearing the name of one of the bigest brand names left on the market. market. They came from a very reputable motor factor so I don't think they were far eastern knock-offs and if they were fakes whoever made them went to a great deal of trouble getting the detail right. I now won't touch any suspension part with the Delphi brand.

[Edited on 14/1/16 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.