Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anti Epileptic Drugs?
nick205

posted on 19/1/16 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Anti Epileptic Drugs?

Hi All,

Maybe not the right place to ask this, but experience has proved LCB to be pretty knowledgeable. As mentioned before, I suffered a head injury in December 2014. Since then I've spent a fair amount of time in hospital and rehab and also suffered several epileptic fits. The most recent was under 2 weeks ago and a result of this is having my driving license cancelled by the DVLA - currently I can't drive until January 2017 assuming I stay fit free for 12 months.

As a line of treatment in May 2015 I was prescribed Levetiracetum (Keppra) tablets at the rate of 1,500mg AM and 1,000mg PM. I have taken these (doing so upsets me greatly as I've never taken medication before) religously, but they are clearly not keeping me fit free.

Since the most recent fit my GP and neuro consultant have spoken and today suggested that the Keppra dose be reduced to 1,000mg AM and 1,000mg PM with the addition of a slowly rising dose of Lamotrogine. The intent being to prevent fits and hopefully get back to driving in time.

The thinking and decision has been placed in my hands, but I have to be honest and say there doesn't seem much option but to go down this road.

My question to the LCB collective is around the new prescription of Lamotrogine - what are people's experiences and what side effects if any have people found with it?

I'm very happy for people to U2U me if you'd rather and I can assure you that all info will remain private from my end.

To quantify the fits I've experienced to date they include no warning, passing out and falling over. I don't want this to happen whilst driving, the risk to myself and other road users is too high!

Thanks
Nick

nick205

posted on 19/1/16 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
A quick note to thank those that have U2U'd with messages - gratefully received.

I do appreciate that as humans we're all different and what's good for one can be bad for another - however some general input helps with the thinking process on my part.

hizzi

posted on 19/1/16 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
my problems are kidney related not epilepsy but a good friend who is a gp gave me a bit of advice last year, if you are offered or can ask about any trials or new drugs go for it, the consultants will be all over you checking and tweeking stuff as it makes you precious to them, otherwise you are just a number on a list
madteg

posted on 19/1/16 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
I was classed as nocturnal epileptic and put on carbamazepine for four years. Then taken of and never had one again.
balidey

posted on 19/1/16 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Two of my kids had epilepsy, my son had very minor symptoms, my daughter had regular and horrible grand mals. Both are now off all drugs and have been seizure free for a year or more.
We have had several changes of medication and different levels over the years. Mainly as kids grow their body weight increases so medicate to suit.
The changes to these levels were all over several months to get the right balance.
The only sensible thing you can do is take the medication as instructed and report back how you feel at each new appointment.
It may take a few months for you to see any effect but I am sure you will see results.
Chin up.

Steve.
PS, the one upside to having epilepsy is you can make jokes about it.
If there is a small gap and someone asks if you can fit.... start shaking.
If your wife asks you to do the washing, tell her you will do it when you have a bath.
I'm sure there are more, but I'll let you decide where your level lies.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

nick205

posted on 20/1/16 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks again for the input and messages - all greatly appreciated at my end.

For the record I've decided to go with the GP/Neuro suggestion and add Lomootrogine to my medication. At this stage I don't have much left to lose and if it keeps me fit free then it will be a bonus.

One very useful piece of advice given was to keep a diary of feelings. My nuero already asked for this and I have been keeping one daily to try and identify whether there is any pattern to having the fits or indeed some way of forseeing it - not yet unfortunately I will continue with this process during the new medication as again it's free to do and may provide me or a doctor with some valuable information.

Thanks again and fingers crossed I can get fit free and able to drive again.

nick205

posted on 20/1/16 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by madteg
I was classed as nocturnal epileptic and put on carbamazepine for four years. Then taken of and never had one again.

Sorry to hear that - doesn't sound good!

Did it affect you driving whilst on medication?

nick205

posted on 25/1/16 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Well I start the second AED tomorrow and will hopefully reach a fit free state!

I'm sure I'll post on progress, but things can only get better I suppose.

nick205

posted on 27/1/16 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
New AED started yesterday and all is well so far.

Will see how things progress and hope to be fit free in the future.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.