Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4 Point Harness, please help
Rosco86

posted on 28/1/16 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
4 Point Harness, please help

Are 4 point harnesses really that bad for riding up in a seven?

I need to get some harnesses for my new build and I've only got 4 mounting points and my chassis is all powder coated and floor on etc!

All i seem to read is that 4 point lap belts ride up, my other option is to get six points and mount them to the lap mounting points

(i know this isn't ideal but a lot of people seem to do this)

Anyone use 4 points and get on OK?

Cheers, Rosco

My Build Thread

nick205

posted on 28/1/16 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted 4 point Sabelt harnesses in my MK Indy as it only had mountings for 4 points. They did ride up and in a heavy shunt I suspect you'd submarine under them. If building again I'd go for 6 point harnesses to overcome this.

One important point to remember is once you're strapped in it's hard to reach the dashboard so make sure all controls are to hand.

One other point to keep in mind is the time it can take to get strapped in to harnesses - longer than tin top seat belts!

wombat

posted on 28/1/16 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
In the same vain, if 6 point harness is better, will the ''aircraft'' type locks pass IVA?
Rosco86

posted on 28/1/16 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wombat
In the same vain, if 6 point harness is better, will the ''aircraft'' type locks pass IVA?

yeah i believe so

My Build Thread

nick205

posted on 28/1/16 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
From memory, mine had push-button seat belt type catches, but had to be loosened and tightened when putting on/off to get them right.

indykid

posted on 29/1/16 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
I've never had a problem in mine.

Setting the belts for the first time in the day (different clothes etc) I loosen the shoulder straps, slide the seat back a click, tighten the lap belt, then slide the seat forward a click so the lap belt is properly tight.

Only once the lap belt is tight do you tighten the shoulder straps. I've seen others think they have their harnesses tight when the lap strap is halfway up their torso, but the lap must be tight first.

There's no way I could submarine without doing significant damage to my spine. My harnesses are the sabelt ones with smooth 2" webbing, so the adjusters actually adjust quite easily. If you have coarse webbing like on Luke harnesses for example, the adjusters are a PITA to use.

AlanH

posted on 16/2/16 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Got 4 point in mine. Agree with previous post, if you get the lap done up properly first and then tighten the shoulder straps everything stays in place. Just a pain if someone who is different in size to you has just got out the car.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.