Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mighty close to buying a L200
Jon Ison

posted on 29/1/16 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Mighty close to buying a L200

Any reasons I shouldn't, what do I look for?

Been sifting through L200's for sale, found one that on paper looks like it ticks my boxes, it's had a recent belt service I've heard of a few overheating issues and broken rear springs, anything else I should be looking at?

2007 auto with 82 on clock which looks correct checking online MOT history.

prawnabie

posted on 29/1/16 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't Joe have one? Might be worth a shout
Talon Motorsport

posted on 29/1/16 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
There has been a few that have snapped the end of the crank off where it bolts to the fly wheel. You'd be looking at £1200 for a new one plus fitting.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nickp

posted on 29/1/16 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Noisy engines, wallowy handling, expensive spares etc etc

Have you looked at Hilux's? Drive soooo much better IMHO mate.

daniel mason

posted on 29/1/16 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
The new l200 series 5 is supposed to drive much better. Alloy engine but prices are obviously high!
I'm after one as well and can't decide. The main issue for me with the hilux is that it only has 3 year warranty and 5 speed box whereas the Isizu and l200 have 5 years and 6 speed

smart51

posted on 29/1/16 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
No help to your decision to buy one or not, but I went to the factory in South Africa where they are made, about 15 years ago. I upgraded their rolling road so it could test the ABS. Nice factory. A pair of Palm trees outside every door. They did a special version for their post office with no back - just a bare chassis. So it had enough weight to do the brake test, they sat a few fat blokes on the chassis rails, next to the wheels spinning at 50 MPH. People criticise health and safety law but it does serve a purpose.
skydivepaul

posted on 29/1/16 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
Any reasons I shouldn't, what do I look for?

Been sifting through L200's for sale, found one that on paper looks like it ticks my boxes, it's had a recent belt service I've heard of a few overheating issues and broken rear springs, anything else I should be looking at?

2007 auto with 82 on clock which looks correct checking online MOT history.

I would avoid an auto in any pick up, they are really thirsty. Not sure about the l200 but a navara auto gives around 19 mpg. A friend of mine had a Hilux pick up which gave about the same mpg
I have looked at all the pick ups and ended up with a navara on two occasions . 2006 and a 2015 navara
The navara seems to be the best all rounder for the money. They hold their price as well

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

r1_pete

posted on 30/1/16 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
No problems with the 3 I've had, since 2008, 2007, 2009 and 2010 models.

The suspension is firm, I would not describe it as wallowey.

Engine is bulletproof, the rallyart 165 bhp chip is worth having, animals and most warriors have it anyway.

The cambelt service at 60k is expensive the parts are close on £400 make sure its been done if its over60k

The side gearbox 'eye' rubber mounting is always giving out, I just haven't bothered replacing it on the current truck and it doesn't seem to matter.

The 4wd selector is a mix of electro mechanical and vacuum, the vacuum often lags and sticks, do not drive it with the front wheel icons on the dash flashing, make sure they are off or on solid, the handbook does cover sticky vacuum.

If its a walkinshaw buy it, if you don't tell me where it is and I will.

I didn't like the diesel auto mix, I had the choice of auto or manual when I bought my current Raging Bull, and went with manual.

I get well over 30mpg consistently.

The pre 2006 model used to break cranks.

I don't like rubbishing other makes, but Navara's do break their backs.
link

[Edited on 30/1/16 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nickp

posted on 30/1/16 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete

The suspension is firm, I would not describe it as wallowey.

[Edited on 30/1/16 by r1_pete]

I had an '11 plate Barbarian for a while with all the bells and whistles. First roundabout I went into I thought it was going to fall over!! My '62 plate budget spec Hilux just seems to drive much better IMHO

daniel mason

posted on 30/1/16 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
You should be going around roundabouts nick.not into them!
coozer

posted on 30/1/16 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
I had an 02 reg shogan.. Really liked it, excellent in the snow, the super 4x4 thing handy.. Was wallowing up the road at 3am in the snow, clutch down, slipped the 4x4 in and way.. straight as you mlike up the road.

Only thing for me was it did about 20mpg and the road tax was eye watering. It was about £210 when I bought it and i got aletter from dvla saying it was going up to £400 so got rid, however that hastnt happened yet but there you go..

I really fancy a Nissan Pathfinder now...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.