Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Have a look and read of this windows 10
jacko

posted on 3/2/16 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look and read of this windows 10

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/02/microsoft-downloading-windows-10-automatic-update
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 3/2/16 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
a big problem will be for those on limited download allowances, 4GB makes a huge dent in a 10/20/40GB per month limit
AndyW

posted on 3/2/16 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Turn off automatic updates. Job done
coyoteboy

posted on 3/2/16 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Things to look out for in my view:

1) W7 premium isn't getting a free update to W10 premium, it goes to some half-ass version
2) DOesn't work on any of my machines because their graphics drivers are out of date and the manufacturer of the cards isn't releasing a new version

I'll stick with 7 ta.

hizzi

posted on 3/2/16 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
i bought a laptop on win8 a few months ago and hated it to the point it was left under the table, took the free update to 10 a couple of weeks back and to be honest i quite like it, stuff is back where you expect it althoigh sometimes named slightly different.
BenB

posted on 4/2/16 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
I very much like it. Thought I'd hate it (had been on 7 before then). But I like it. Quite surprised!
Chris_Xtreme

posted on 4/2/16 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
I've used

GWX Control panel on a couple of old win 7 laptops to stop the annoying pop up.

not sure how it is going to fare with the change in option to make it a recommended update.

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

nick205

posted on 4/2/16 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
My work laptop and home laptop are on W7 Pro and home - both work fine for me!

jeffw

posted on 4/2/16 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Windows 10 is a significant improvement on Win 7.

dhutch

posted on 4/2/16 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
a big problem will be for those on limited download allowances, 4GB makes a huge dent in a 10/20/40GB per month limit

I run a forum for canal users, a lot of our members are simply holidaying on narrowboats or fishing etc, however a significant core live on their boat as as you say are often on quite limited data allowances.

There is then in Win10 no way to 'turn of automation updates' as there was in Win7.

What you have to do, is go into the options and select you connection as being a 'data limited mobile connection' or something like that, at which point it will not download updates while on the connection and will wait until it in on another connection, such as you local Pub, or McDonalds, wifi!

Daniel

tegwin

posted on 4/2/16 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing in this world is free especially if it has come from Microsoft.

At some point once everyone has been forced to upgrade to win 10 we will all be told we have to pay a subscription to continue getting vital updates etc.... Fair enough they need to make a profit but I paid for win 7 and it works for me... Not going to change for the foreseeable future

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

David Jenkins

posted on 4/2/16 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
If they ever make it a 'pay for service' operating system it will get removed from my computer (or never updated again).

It's only there because Linux can't run every bit of software that I wish to use - but I hardly switch on that Windoze machine anyway, so won't miss it if it's not there.

[Edited on 4/2/16 by David Jenkins]

britishtrident

posted on 4/2/16 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Windows 10 is a significant improvement on Win 7.

Genuine qurstion ? or leg pull ??! Windows 7 was easy to use and pretty stable 10 is dreadful apart from.the hortible interface it is very prone to losing user profiles.

If installing on a home PC always install using the "local profile" option as it makes losing the user profile less likely and easier to recover from.

Installing the Freeware Classic Shell puts the interface back to somewhere near the standard interface that appeared on.Windows 95.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

dhutch

posted on 4/2/16 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Genuine question? or leg pull??! Windows 7 was easy to use and pretty stable 10 is dreadful apart.....

I thought the main think about Win10 is that unlike Win8 you didnt have to use the 'tablet' touch interface?

Not that I have a huge issue with Win7 it must be said.

Daniel

David Jenkins

posted on 4/2/16 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Actually, I think Win 10 is one of the best versions they've brought out for a while - apart from 7 perhaps. Although I do use Classic Shell, so that sort-of negates my endorsement!

I still hate the way MS treat me as a user though - pushing huge updates all the time, usually requiring extra time at shutdown and the next startup, hiding information so that anyone with reasonable skills can't get at it, and designing their interfaces for the lowest common denominator (i.e. a computer newbie). Some of the companies that make software for Windoze make the same mistakes (stand up, Hewlett-Packard - you're one of the worst offenders).

hearbear

posted on 4/2/16 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Just wish you can turn off the updates on win10 as last one killed brand new laptop and had to go through the roll back to the earlier version of 10 that worked. Once that was done it then said they will install the next one when available what a crock of sh*te.

3.9Ltr SSC Stylus should be fun

SteveWalker

posted on 4/2/16 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
So far, I have had few problems with Windows 10. I liked 7, hated 8 (but it was absolutely fine with Classic Shell) and I like 10. I don't like the way they push updates on you with little option and no warning - I have had a few occasions when things have seemed very slow and when shutting down, the installing upgrades message has appeared. I have also had one occasion where I was in a hotel room with no Wi-Fi and tethering to my phone and was very unhappy that a large update was downloaded just then.

I also had a problem on 7, that luckily, so far, has not appeared on 10, where being able to control the update settings myself was very important (a network driver update kept breaking my Ethernet interface each time it installed, so I had to prevent it updating).

mcerd1

posted on 5/2/16 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
I took the upgrade option for my mother-in-law's laptop - but that is a fairly cheap machine that had win8.1...

Pushing the upgrade to win10 is a great way of increasing its market share quickly.
More market share means more software developed to work on win10, which means more people buying nee windows machines.
I don't imagine they are loosing much money giving it away as an upgrade either - how many people would really rush out and buy the latest OS for there old machine these days ?

All my own win7 machines are staying as they are for now, I'm not denying that win10 is looking promising, but its not exactly bug free either and win7 is quite stable

Maybe I'll upgrade in a year or two if its still free / cheap and the bugs have been worked out...

In fact Win7 is the only one I've ever got at its release date (got a retail copy of pro with both 32 and 64 bit discs - half price as a preorder) but I had been playing with the RC version for a while so I was quite confident

[Edited on 5/2/2016 by mcerd1]

-

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 5/2/16 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
MS said a free update for a year, so I think you have till ~ July to upgrade.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/lifecycle

shows us that win 7 is now only getting security and bug fixes, not feature upgrades or improvements and security will stop in 4yrs time.

Have to say I was very happy with win 7 home premium, but wanted more memory in the machine, (I run a lot of virtual box machines to only have 1 pc in the house) so I took the upgrade to win 10 fro free rather than pay to upgrade to 7 ultimate etc.

early days , before xmas I was not feeling to great about the move, mainly down to the windows updates coming down whenever they fancied and when they did they took out the start menu, however of late, I have nothing to complain about. It is just as quick as 7 and it ticking along 24/7 quite happily.

(just be wary of the security / privacy settings being changed by MS and switching to yes for everything)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.