Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: newbie stupid question alert
punchdrunk

posted on 7/2/16 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
newbie stupid question alert

hi guys, hope my questions don't annoy people but they are asked in ignorance!
i have done loads of car work over the years so my skills are quite adequate to build myself a vehicle.However that being said, all the work i have done has been repair/ rebuild work and the car has finished up as it started out.
I have got myself some 3 x 2 x 1/8" box section but have no clue how to begin a project.I would like to end up with some type of hot rod vehicle but am clueless about suspension angles, bump steer concerns and how to avoid it and a whole host of other things that go to build up a safe useable vehicle.
I have seen different chassis plans but if i picked one, i would'nt know how to select a suspension set up that would be suitable with the chassis plan. As you can already see, i am very much in the dark as to where to begin a project as my knowledge is very limited.
i have a beetle body that could be used and cut to suit and also have a chevy v8 small block available.Any help and info would be well received.
thanks.

Toprivetguns

posted on 7/2/16 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Evening and welcome !

My first bit of advice would be write up a plan ans stick with it. Have a good think about what you want the vehicle to be for. Trackday toy, hotrod etc. Next give yourself a realistic budget and timescales. Your build will progress much quicker if you have waypoints and deadlines.

Its a long journey, however with a bit of time and research your hard efforts will pay off.

Good luck !

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

johnnybizzle1986

posted on 8/2/16 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

A good website I have found to help understand how it all works is racing aspirations, you can input different dimensions and see how the front end will react.

And I totally agree with Toprivetguns advice of decide the use of the car.

Where abouts are you based?

Regards Jon

nick205

posted on 8/2/16 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome aboard - no silly questions only silly answers in my book.

As suggested, start with the car's purpose and use and go from there. I know some manufacturer's have used 7 type chassis with outriggers to mount full bodywork on them so may be suitable for what you want.

punchdrunk

posted on 9/2/16 at 05:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnybizzle1986
Hi,

A good website I have found to help understand how it all works is racing aspirations, you can input different dimensions and see how the front end will react.

And I totally agree with Toprivetguns advice of decide the use of the car.

Where abouts are you based?

Regards Jon

how do mate, am based in Rotherham!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.