Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steering sticking at 180° intervals
smart51

posted on 13/2/16 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Steering sticking at 180° intervals

I bought an MR2 Roadster a week ago and its been good so far. I took it out for its first good run this afternoon finishing with a 30 mile run up the motorway. After I came off the motorway I notices the steering wheel was sticking at 90° either side of straight ahead and 180° intervals either side of that. Any idea what it could be? The car has electro hydraulic steering BTW.
SteveWalker

posted on 13/2/16 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Not something I've come across, but my first thought would be a faulty universal joint in the steering linkage - that'd presumably stick every 180°.
garyt

posted on 13/2/16 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
had a quick google and seemingly a common fault on em causing stick points on the steering is the u/j between bulkhead and steering rack, a quick fix is to lubricate, but replacement recommended, jack up the front end and get someone to turn the steering you should be able to feel the stickiness by feel as they turn back and forth.

but sticking steering aint a funny thing because you just know its going to a- either stop steering or b stick at a set angle at the most inopportune moment, hope you get to the bottom of it, stay safe

hth regards Gary

remember we are not mad just creatively insane !!!!!

britishtrident

posted on 13/2/16 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Very common fault you need to replace the UJ lubricating it won't last more than a week.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

smart51

posted on 13/2/16 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. That makes perfect sense. I wonder if the seller oiled it a week ago.
steve m

posted on 14/2/16 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
I had this problem on a Transit years ago, and as said, it was the universal joint,
it was lubricated weekly, until fixed, which was VERY easy

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

smart51

posted on 14/2/16 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Tried dribbling plus gas on it, then spray grease. It worked for 5 minutes then went sticky again. Repeated the process this afternoon with the same results. Now the problem is diagnosed, I'll get a replacement part. Thanks all.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.