Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The E Type lives on EFI.
r1_pete

posted on 14/2/16 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
The E Type lives on EFI.

had a couple of hours with the laptop and the E Type.

Got a nice idle, but there seemed to be a problem with the coolant sensor, Warmup enrichment in TS was displaying in Farenheit, I'd calibrated in Celcius, just came in a found the setting in project properties.

I'm quite please its running on its mix of XJ6, Impreza, and Skyline bits welded together with bits of tube etc.

I think I had the fuel pressure too high, as I had to turn the req fuel right down.

So lots of reading to do before having another session next weekend.

Any hints and tips for tuning welcome, I just want to get it good enough for a 90 mile drive to Baileys.

Cheers.

Pete.

nearly there 3
nearly there 3

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HowardB

posted on 14/2/16 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
This needs a video....

Really looking forward to hearing it

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

40inches

posted on 14/2/16 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
That looks the dogs dangly bits Pete
My understanding was that, once you have a stable idle, you can use VE Analyze Live! to tune it?
I hope that's the case, I was relying on it!

perksy

posted on 14/2/16 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
That looks just lovely and seems to fit really well
mark chandler

posted on 14/2/16 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Looks great

If it runs without any flat spots then it should be okay for a gentle drive to Dales.

SPYDER

posted on 14/2/16 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Pete. A fifteen minute drive using VEAL and it will be good enough for your planned outing. Your req fuel setting might not be as far out as it looks. Mine started off like yours, seemingly miles out, but it has proven to be OK after all.
The default lambda delay table in VEAL might not be right for your engine but it will suffice just to get a basic setup.
Are you running MAP or Alpha-N?

r1_pete

posted on 14/2/16 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks All.

The fuel pressure was at 45psi, I think I'm going to drop it to 37, as per most stock regulators.

Then get the idle right again and set the VE table using the Req fuel/Actual fuel x VE table.

I need to tweak the timing too, just to get an accurate 10 degree, I think dropping the missing tooth offset from 60 to 55 degrees will do it, then I'll copy in my old megajolt ignition map.

I also need to set the wideband up.

I'm running MAP, and have the tps for accel enrich.

But all in all so far the tickover is a lot smoother than the carbs were....

and the enthusiasm for it is on a high again....

[Edited on 14/2/16 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ashg

posted on 15/2/16 at 02:00 AM Reply With Quote
fantastic i love seeing what these old engines can do with modern efi on them. be sure to make some videos of the tuning process and share.

In my eyes its the best of both worlds reliable starting in any weather, all the evocative sounds and smells of the past with modern efi reliability and fuel economy.

my one word of caution would be not to run it too lean, these old motors were not designed to be run on the brink of lean with lots of advance like a modern motor so just be conservative with how far you push the limits on the rollers, a little bit more fuel and conservative advance map will cost much less than an engine rebuild.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

SPYDER

posted on 15/2/16 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
... these old motors were not designed to be run on the brink of lean with lots of advance like a modern motor ...

On the contrary. old engines usually need more advance than modern ones.

nick205

posted on 15/2/16 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Looks a tidy install and kept low to allow for the bonnet line too. Hope it works well for you.

ETA...built a few E-Types with my Dad with standard engines. Have to say, when running well they're fantastic, but they can take some work to get right.

[Edited on 15/2/16 by nick205]

BaileyPerformance

posted on 15/2/16 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
We've converted a couple of straight six XKs to EFI.

Surprisingly, thay will run at lambda 1 (14.7afr) without an issue, but do require upto 40deg timing to get peak power. The usual 12.5afr WOT.

Cheers Dale.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.