Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Noob considering build with 328i
brightonpad

posted on 2/3/16 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Noob considering build with 328i

Hello all,

First post so a short intro, my (nick)name is Pad and I'm a certified petrolhead having owned a wide spectrum of performance cars but never a kit car. The backdrop to me considering a self build is a number of things really... First I'd always hoped to design and build my own car (who doesn't) but I've never really given it serious thought. Recently I'd been looking at buying a cheap track car to have some fun with and then I had an epiphany (or it could have been wind...). Last autumn I had to condemn my daily driver, an e36 328i touring manual, to breaking as the shell was beyond saving. I've got rid of the easy bits but am now stuck with the shell, engine, gearbox, suspension etc. basically all the good stuff, so I got to thinking maybe this is my chance! I have a workshop, lots of tools and a welder so my head is now full of grand ideas and it's probably about time for a reality check, hence joining here... So, if you'll indulge me, I have a few questions.

1. Is this a dumb idea? I appreciate that I have pretty much a full doner car, but I suspect the list of people who started off with something because it was just what they had and then realised it was a mistake is long and distinguished...

2. Can I build something useable as a road legal plaything with my doner car plus the 1500 I had budgeted for a track car or am I way off?

3. Is the pain of making my own chassis worth it or should I start with an unfinished project and adjust to suit my drivetrain dimensions?

In my head the ingredients are right... A powerful engine with a strong diff and box, decent brakes etc... Appreciate its going to end up a little heavier than most 7s but I'm still figuring about 250hp/tonne which will make it a laugh..

Any comments or advice welcome!

Cheers,
Pad

adithorp

posted on 2/3/16 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
GKD sell a Seven kit designed for BMW donor. Probably the easier/quicker that building your own chassis.

http://www.gkdsportscars.com/

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 2/3/16 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the forums Pad!

1) Not dumb at all - I know of a couple of people planning to use the M52B28 engine in their projects; I used to be one of them before I converted to a Jag V6!

2) Unfortunately I think you may be a bit short there, the IVA alone is £500. When it comes down to it I guess it depends how much you use from the donor and how much you can get for the bits you don't use.

3) I've done both; buying an unfinished project may help with time initially and may get you components you need on the cheap, however the workmanship is generally an unknown quantity and you'll end up having to modify it anyway.

Designing and building the chassis and suspension to accept the BMW running gear may be challenging but certainly not impossible.

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

brightonpad

posted on 3/3/16 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks both,

GKD certainly looks a quality product but way out of my price range, at least in a single purchase. My intention would be to use as much as possible from the doner, I've still got clocks, full EWS loom, seats, wheels etc. on top of full running gear so I hope that would help. I hear what you are saying on IVA, I was thinking more of just essential parts costs.

I'm guessing the first step would be to buy the Haynes and work from that design as a benchmark? I really would try and stick to as close to off plans as possible, but I guess mods are necessary around the engine space, gearbox tunnel, diff carrier and uprights?

End of the day, with a self build I can take it in baby steps and I reckon the metalwork itself is only likely to be around 200 quid.

Out of interest, has anyone ever recorded the actual build hours that went in to a self build including chassis fabrication?

Cheers
Pad

Nickp

posted on 3/3/16 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
I'm building a Haynes with an M52B28, and think it's a great idea

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=198679

I did it the other way round though. I bought an unfinished / barely started project for very little money. The chassis was completed and the previous owner had collected a lot of parts, some good, some not so. The engine does fit and there's enough chassis mods required to provide a challenge, rather than just a bolt together job Mine came with the majority of the Sierra running gear so I never really considered doing it any other way. You could certainly use the BMW diff I reckon but to use everything would be a serious challenge.

I'd recommend an unfinished project, preferably a Haynes (or something of similar proportions)

brightonpad

posted on 3/3/16 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Nick,

That looks great - some quality work and parts going in to that, suspect mine would be a little more like Frankenstein's Monster..

I lay awake for some considerable time last night (yeah, sad) contemplating whether I was overstepping the mark for a first build... I guess I could actually sell the BMW parts still and probably afford to buy a doner MX5 with the proceeds and make my life a lot easier. Decisions!

Cheers,
Pad

Nickp

posted on 3/3/16 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brightonpad
Hi Nick,

That looks great - some quality work and parts going in to that, suspect mine would be a little more like Frankenstein's Monster..

I lay awake for some considerable time last night (yeah, sad) contemplating whether I was overstepping the mark for a first build... I guess I could actually sell the BMW parts still and probably afford to buy a doner MX5 with the proceeds and make my life a lot easier. Decisions!

Cheers,
Pad

You'd always long for that cracking 6 pot though Would make more sense though.

brightonpad

posted on 3/3/16 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Honestly, that's part of the problem.. I'm a sucker for straight sixes. Had 5xM20b25s, 2xM52B28s, M54B30, S38B36, and my favourite, an "S50B34"... Basically this was the engine in my Alpina B3S, US spec M3 block bored and stroked to 3.4.. Magnificent engine!
Nickp

posted on 3/3/16 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Honestly, that's part of the problem.. I'm a sucker for straight sixes. Had 5xM20b25s, 2xM52B28s, M54B30, S38B36, and my favourite, an "S50B34"... Basically this was the engine in my Alpina B3S, US spec M3 block bored and stroked to 3.4.. Magnificent engine!

Yeah, I've had several too. Got an M54B30 in a Z4 at the mo' too

UncleFista

posted on 3/3/16 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hi Nick,

Too late, it's been done

BMW Roadster 1
BMW Roadster 1

BMW Roadster 3
BMW Roadster 3

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Nickp

posted on 3/3/16 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista
quote:
Hi Nick,

Too late, it's been done

BMW Roadster 1
BMW Roadster 1

BMW Roadster 3
BMW Roadster 3

Aaarrgghhhh, my eyes!!

brightonpad

posted on 3/3/16 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Woah! Mind you, I'm limited in what I can say because at least they've built something!
SteveWallace

posted on 3/3/16 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

6 pot BMW engines are the way to go. I cheated and started with a bigger chassis, so it was easier to get mine in, but I'm more than happy with the result (see my photo archive). If you need any more justification, remember that once you've built your car to take a 2.8, when you get bored, its a straight swap for an M3 engine.

brightonpad

posted on 4/3/16 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace

6 pot BMW engines are the way to go. I cheated and started with a bigger chassis, so it was easier to get mine in, but I'm more than happy with the result (see my photo archive). If you need any more justification, remember that once you've built your car to take a 2.8, when you get bored, its a straight swap for an M3 engine.

What a great build Steve - hats off to you. I had a quick look on Luego website and appears they only make the Viento chassis to order now, wonder if that makes it more expensive.. mind you, I'm starting to see the appeal as it will probably take me a year to fabricate my own chassis!

Cheers all for input so far.

Pad

CTLeeds

posted on 6/4/16 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, I agree with both Nick and Steve, they are both spot on, the six pot is a great choice of engine. I'm putting one into the new Dax Rush offering from MAN Motorsport which is E46 based. I also think you're potentially underestimating your potential power to weight even if your donor has lost a few ponies along the way!

Regards,

Chris

craig1410

posted on 7/4/16 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Pad,

I built my Locost with a Rover V8 engine for similar reasons to you with your BMW 6-pot and I reckon it was in excess of £3k all in but that included some bought in GRP parts and tools so maybe £2k to £2.5k might be possible. I reckon it was probably in excess of 1000 hours over the course of 6 years (house move in the middle and two garages to build).

Personally I would stay away from unfinished projects. I would rather make my own mistakes than live with other people's!

You can see more details of my build here: http://www.meerkats.uk.com/meerkat-rv8-build/

Good luck whatever you decide.

Cheers,
Craig.

[Edited on 7/4/2016 by craig1410]

40inches

posted on 7/4/16 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
This would be a good starting point Unfinished Haynes Roadster Locust Style Kit Car with Ford Zetec Engine
rodgling

posted on 7/4/16 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for the BMW straight 6's. I started with a 328, then moved on to the M3 (S50B32). You won't end up with a super-light car, but it will be fast and it will sound brilliant. You'll easily do better than 250 bhp/ton I would think.

[Edited on 7/4/16 by rodgling]

brightonpad

posted on 8/4/16 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Why is the money never around when you need it!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/331818748814

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.