Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Removing Tripod Joint From Sierra Drive Shaft
ash_hammond

posted on 10/3/16 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Removing Tripod Joint From Sierra Drive Shaft

Guys,

I'm upgrading my 3.62 non LSD to a 3.62 LSD. At the moment I'm running push in shafts which i know i need to change. I'm also running drums at the rear.

I would like to get my LSD installed with swapping the minimum number of things. From what i understand by reading on posts on here, if my shafts are the 25 split version (good chance) I can remove the inner tripod CV joint and replace it with a Lobro CV Joint.

Here is the old LCB post i found.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=93484

Question 1:

Does anyone have a guide, tips or trick to remove the Tripod joint.

Question 2:

Long term i want to convert the rear brakes to disc. By doing the above, will i be limiting my options or will i have to change the shafts again and fit a full Lobro and both ends to fit discs?

Question 3:

If i want to go LSD and disc, should i just wait, save a few more pennies get all the bits i require do it bang over the winter next year.

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

adithorp

posted on 10/3/16 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Are you planning to upgrade to Sierra discs (heavier than the drums?) in which case I'd do both together? If Wilwoods are the plan, you'd be better using the drum to disc conversion (RallyDesign supply) on the current bearing carriers, so doing the hybrid shafts now wouldn't make a difference.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

loggyboy

posted on 10/3/16 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Question 1:

Does anyone have a guide, tips or trick to remove the Tripod joint.

Grind/hack saw of the outer can - this reveals the joint and circlip to remove the shaft.

Question 2:

Long term i want to convert the rear brakes to disc. By doing the above, will i be limiting my options or will i have to change the shafts again and fit a full Lobro and both ends to fit discs?

No, you can get bolt on plates to mount calipers to drum hub carriers.

On a side note I was under impression to do the hybrid route you would need the rare diesel driveshafts that have the correct spline size/number to use lobros at one end.

Mistral Motorsport

nick205

posted on 10/3/16 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
I rebuilt my push-in Sierra drive shafts using new kits from Ford - these came with new metal cans that cover the joint and provide a seat for the bellows.

Getting the old cans off was brute force, hacking them open and peeling them off. Once removed getting the joint apart was relatively easy. IIRC there was a circlip arrangement holding the tripode onto the end of the splined shaft.

Rebuilding was easy enough although thinking back you had to hold the spring loaded joint together whilst peening the new metal can over the joint. The beauty thereafter was newly built joints with fresh grease and new bellows.

Given you are considering a change from drums to discs I think you need bolt on CVs both ends so don't make more work for yourself unless you have to.

ETA...there is a short write up in January on my website which may help you.

[Edited on 10/3/16 by nick205]

ash_hammond

posted on 11/3/16 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Willwood on the rear would be lovely, but i don't think I can justify the cost. I took your advice @adithorp and called rally design. They told me there are two kits to convert drums to wilwoods, the kits are listed below.

BK64

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=12233

Which is 241 + VAT

or

BK65

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=12234

Which is 386 + VAT

Both of these kits need some machine work to be carried out before they will fit, plus around £50 in pads.

Looking at the descriptions I would need BK65.

I think my options are in turns of cost.

Option 1 - Drums

Keep my existing shafts and change the inner ends which i now have a pair of.
This will be pretty much free as I have all the bits.

Option 2 - Sierra Calipers

I will need:

Shafts - Re-conned - £120 pair
Calipers - Reconned with sliders £200
Bearing Carriers S/H £50
disc + Pads £40
Cables £20

This comes to a grand total of £430 plus sundries

Options 3 - willwoods

Keep my existing shafts and change the inner ends.
Buy BK65 kit and pads

This comes to a grand total of £490 plus sundries and machining.

With this in mind the wilwoods are looking like a very viable option, they are looking very viable if I can get away with kit bk64, but i think that of for existing sierra disc update.

Thoughts guys.. I'm really starting to get spagetti mind!

nick205

posted on 11/3/16 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
On my MK Indy I reused the Sierra donor rear drum brakes. They worked well and the handbrake also worked perfectly. For me it was enough and I never felt the need or desire to replace with discs.

I have however had several tin tops with rear discs and all have been fine. One comment is that VAG rear discs have needed caliper rewind tools when fitting new pads. Irritating, but not the end of the world.

ash_hammond

posted on 11/3/16 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
I think i have said tool... the Mrs Cooper needed one to rewind her brakes on the rear when i did the pads.

I'm very tempted to just use my current shafts and swap the inner ends, the cost of swapping to disc seems a lot for not a lot of gain.

or am i missing the point

Pojo

posted on 11/3/16 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Ash

I have a complete RD kit to convert drum to disc, including pads and RD handbrake cable, all unused. expensive mistake on my end (no comment) Not sure what kit number it is as i bought it 2 years ago at Stoneleigh. If you are interested, i will have a look and we can discus price. let me know

Pojo

Pojo

posted on 11/3/16 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Having looked at the links, i can confirm that i have the BK64 kit with the Hydra calipers + new pads + RD Handbrake cable. All unused. let me know if you want to discus further.

Pojo

ash_hammond

posted on 11/3/16 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Pojo PM sent.

Pojo

posted on 11/3/16 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Pojo
mk7matt

posted on 11/3/16 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ash_hammond
I think i have said tool... the Mrs Cooper needed one to rewind her brakes on the rear when i did the pads.

I'm very tempted to just use my current shafts and swap the inner ends, the cost of swapping to disc seems a lot for not a lot of gain.

or am i missing the point

I'm also in the process of swapping from drums to LSD and discs.
For me there is a greater aesthetic appeal with discs - they are more motorsport.

My total spend so far is about £300 ( not including the Diff ) but then I've decided to fit new uprights and refurbish the driveshafts and hubs.

2.0 Pinto powered Mk Indy.
10 years in the making.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.