Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Side panel lower lip
Joshy

posted on 10/3/16 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Side panel lower lip

Hi all

I'm considering doing away with the lower lip on my ali side panels and instead riveting them to the sides of BR 3,4,5,6 (Haynes Roadster). My reasoning for this is that my floor is already attached to the underside of these rails with sealant and rivets - I don't like the idea of going through that lot with another load of sealant/rivets.

My worry is that the resultant sharp edge would fall foul of the IVA 2.5mm radius rule. Does anyone know if this would be the case?

Thanks
Josh

furryeggs

posted on 11/3/16 at 05:53 AM Reply With Quote
I've left the outer edge undrilled but stuck with tiger seal so i don't have to go through drillng out rivets when fitting the body. Personally i wouldn't want a long line of rivets visible along the outside, but thats just me. Not sure about Mr IVA on the edges, but plenty of wet and dry and elbow grease should stop any sharpe/rough patches.
Slimy38

posted on 11/3/16 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
I realise this might be a lot of extra work, but could you not remove the floor and redo the side panels and the floor with the same rivets?

I'm with Mr furry, if I did the side rivets I'd look at them every time I got in the car thinking 'I should have done that better'.

nick205

posted on 11/3/16 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Different if your side panels are alloy, but on my MK Indy I fitted the GRP side panels with a lower return using tiger seal on the outer chassis tubes. It held in place very well and I didn't bother with rivets along the lower return into the chassis rails. It should be noted however that the lower return did leave a 3-5mm gap from it's inside face the the underside of the chassis rails.

loggyboy

posted on 11/3/16 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Bit of school boy error, you should have only riveted 3 sides of the floor then done the side/floors at same time.
If it was me I would to fold over and just drill and rivet again but with hit and miss qty of rivets.

[Edited on 11-3-16 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

MikeR

posted on 11/3/16 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Why not do a bit of both - put the lip under the car to get round IVA but glue it onto the side of the car and fill the small lip under the car with neutral cure silicone or glue.

IVA sorted and no rivets.

Smoking Frog

posted on 11/3/16 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Bit of school boy error

I hope not. If so I have to admit I made the same error.

Fold under say 5 or 6mm to miss the floor rivets and keep a safe edge. Could also create tabs to fit between the floor rivets that will take a rivet. As the panel is also fixed with adhesive you want need many tabs.

Joshy

posted on 11/3/16 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
School boy error, yes - but considering I was still a school boy at the time of fitting the floor I think I can be excused!

I've decided to include the lower lip and silicon it onto the underside of the floor, along with a few rivets for good measure... On second thoughts you're right, rivets along the side would look naff!

Joshy

posted on 16/3/16 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Side panels are finished and fitted now. My next question is how to do the last little bit of the side over the rear arch, specifically the curved strip. The book suggests fabricating two separate pieces and welding them - I can't TIG so this would require the services of my local welders. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.