Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Running my car while I'm not inside, how to avoid getting locked out?
morcus

posted on 12/3/16 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Running my car while I'm not inside, how to avoid getting locked out?

My AC smells so I've bought a car of cleaner that requires the car to be run with the doors and windows shut while the chemical works its magic and obviously I don't want to sit in on this. I only have access to one key and I'm slightly concerned the car might lock itself in the ten minutes it takes to work its magic.

The car is a 2012 Ford Focus and I don't think it locks on its own but I've never tested it, does anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking I might be able to jam one of the door clips and hold the door sealed.

It probably is a non issue but prevention is better than cure.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

rusty nuts

posted on 12/3/16 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Can you unlock the door using the key rather than the fob? If so just get a spare key cut , cheap enough . Failing that a lot of locksmiths can now clone the key
SPYDER

posted on 12/3/16 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Leave drivers window down but stick some plastic over the opening.
morcus

posted on 12/3/16 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
I can't believe I didn't think of that, I've got loads of thick plastic packing in the house. Can pop out for some masking tape and jobs done.

Getting a cheap key was something I'd considered but it meant finding someone who made them and would probably mean having to wait a while (I'm hoping to get it done tomorrow as Its my last free day for a while.

Always get the best advice on here.

The Knobs

posted on 12/3/16 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
If it doesn't lock when you drive it, then it wont sat on the drive.
trextr7monkey

posted on 12/3/16 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Knobs
If it doesn't lock when you drive it, then it wont sat on the drive.

Funny I thought the same but thought if I posted that I might sound like a smart as but seriously I haven't come across a car that locks itself unintentionally.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

jossey

posted on 12/3/16 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Fishing wire to door latch and run across car and through window

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
morcus

posted on 12/3/16 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
My dad had cars that locked themselves even if they were running, I've got no idea if my car does as there's no lock pins, pulling the handle inside might be unlocking the door. I distinctly remember my dad would frequently stop to pick someone up, and the outside handle wouldn't work unless he pressed a button on the console first.

I did google to see if the car is meant to lock itself but the result was very much ambiguous.

Just really want to be safe rather than sorry on this one.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 13/3/16 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
I'm with getting another key for the future if your starting the car the locks shouldn't lock if the keys in the ignition with the engine running .
owelly

posted on 13/3/16 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Don't shut the boot properly? Then if it does lock, you can climb through.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Sam_68

posted on 13/3/16 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Don't shut the boot properly? Then if it does lock, you can climb through.

That was my first thought - trap a bit of cloth over the lock so that it can't latch properly, perhaps?

I once had an old Vauxhall Carlton that locked me out in the middle of Leeds coach station as I was dropping someone off and unloading their luggage with thee ngine running, so I sympathise with your fears!

steve m

posted on 13/3/16 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Why not take the striker plate off, and wedge/tape the door shut
most cars its only two star bolts

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

morcus

posted on 13/3/16 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the advice, the door didn't lock itself and my car smells a lot better. I pressed the boot button to disengage the clasp without opening it and opened a window and covered it with plastic, funnily enough though the boot did lock itself.

I'm getting another key in June, basically the garage gave me the wrong spare and had to order me a new one, but needed the V5 to get it, that took 2 months, by the time they were ready to take the car in to program it I'd moved to the other side of the country and their nearest branch is about 3 hours drive away and they want the car for 2 hours to program it.

If I did it again I still wouldn't trust the car not to lock itself.

davidinhull

posted on 13/3/16 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Since you've successfully finished, I'll tell you a story:
My mate was replacing a part in the engine of his Impreza, we fitted it , started the engine, and with us both outside, with all the doors closed, revved the engine with the cable in the engine bay. We then discovered the automatic lock engages in response to the engine reaching a set rev point!
Fortunately he had a spare key!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.