Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Priamry and Secondary pipe lengths for exhaust manifold?
ned

posted on 2/2/06 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
I've been researching this (again!) lately for the design of my exhaust system that I'm having made in about a month's time.
I came across this thread on blatchat which might be of interest, as it mentions both lengths and diameters of high power vauxhall caterhams exhausts..

http://www.blatchat.com/T.asp?id=4016

When they say primaries do they mean the total length of 4-2-1 and the secondary as the 2-1 bit? 30 odd inches sounds a lot to me otherwise, ut i do have some pics I can post up to show examples of race spec bonnet exit 7 type exhausts which is essentially what I hope mine will turn out like..

Ned.

[Edited on 2/2/06 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 2/2/06 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
The primary length on a 4-2-1 (as far as I know!!) refers to the combined 4-2 bit, not the entire 4-2-1.

If you measure a few long 4-2-1 systems from the valve to the 2-1 collector they should be around 30 inches. If you think rouchly 2'6" and look at a few this is around the length they all run.

Worked on my grasser, improved torque a lot from the std vauxhall tubular 4-2-1, which is too short.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

ned

posted on 2/2/06 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
ok its late and i'm being stupid, to quote the caterham boys:

31" Primaries 1 7/8 header dia
15" Secondaries 2 1/4"
3" collector dia at silencer

thats 31" from valve to 4-2 join then 15" from 2-1 ?

I'm more likely to go along the lines of the other guy:

27" primaries 1 7/8" dia
10" secondaries 2 1/4" dia
2 1/2" link pipe to silencer this is only about 3" long.

these sound longer than the way you have described it Nat?!

Ned.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 2/2/06 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
They are! Think I may have it wrong then, but the lengths I used worked for me on the grasser, but then without rolling-roading a really long primary system I don't know if this would be better still!!!!

I think Simpson know what they are about, I'd be inclined to follow their suggestions!

Let me know what they/you find, and I'll follow suit with mine!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

ned

posted on 2/2/06 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
pah, that sort of info will cost ya

..but on the phone they generlised and said for an xe somewhere around 24-28" primaries and 8-10" secondaries iirc..

Ned.

NS Dev

posted on 2/2/06 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
LOL!!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.