Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec to Mx5 engine
dewbries

posted on 16/3/16 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec to Mx5 engine

Hi peeps, not been around for a while and certainly not been on the road. After moving my car from storage to work on getting it ready for the year, a smashed bell housing and engine lug lead me to go down the mx5 engine route. Changed my pedal too pushing them into the engine bay like a Caterham (Long legs) while ive been at it.
My question is: What should i be awear of that will be different. The MX5 engine has a return fuel pipe the Zetec not. I geuss im going to have to sort that. Anyone else done the same swap how did you get over it. I dont want ot have to take the tank out and fit a return welding stuff thats had fuel in aint good and makes you jump even if you fill it with water. Ideas!

[Edited on 16/3/16 by dewbries]

Second build. Now refining and changing drive train

JSArmstrong

posted on 16/3/16 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Good to see you posting on here again Dad!
BaileyPerformance

posted on 16/3/16 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
All zetecs are fuel injected. So unless you have converted to carbs you will have a fuel return.
Only exemption is a stock ST170 which uses a dead head system with a modulated pump.

If your removing a 1.8/2.0 zetec E and replacing it with an MX5 engine your making a step backwards, zetec is stronger and has more gearbox options.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dewbries

posted on 16/3/16 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers BaileyPerformance. Yes have been running bike carbs . Car started out with CVH then two Zetec engines and now MX5.

BaileyPerformance

posted on 16/3/16 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
We map loads of MX5s, mostly turbo or supercharged. They are good engines, but do have weak rods and are poor conpaired to a stock zetec in N/A form.

For example 1800 MX5 on jenveys 140-150bhp

2000 zetec on jenveys 175bhp.

ST170 over 200bhp on Jenveys.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JSArmstrong

posted on 16/3/16 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
I was under the impression an mx5 engine can be taken to a good 230-240 bhp without the need for internal strengthening?? I thought zetecs needed ARP con rod bolts to go that far?
JSArmstrong

posted on 16/3/16 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Turbo/supercharged ofcourse
JSArmstrong

posted on 16/3/16 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Also wasn't running a 2.0 zetec. Was a 1.8 Silvertop zetec

[Edited on 16/3/16 by JSArmstrong]

BaileyPerformance

posted on 16/3/16 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
No.

A stock 1800/2000 zetec is stronger then an MX5 engine.

ARP bolts have no effect on the amount of power and engine will withstand, only the RPM it will withstand.

Both engines have same rev limit, 7200rpm.

A totally stock silvertop 1800 will take 220-240bhp all day, we have done this, and are in the process of turbocharging a Westfield zetec at the moment.

BaileyPerformance

posted on 16/3/16 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Stock silvertop rods are very strong, we ran 462bhp for 3 months until eventually one bent.
At 350bhp they will last forever, in comparison the MX5 rods are made of cheese.

We've mapped 60+ MX5s, keep power below 240bhp all is well, 250bhp it's on the ragged edge of bending a rod.

We have seen 300bhp out of a stock 2.0 zetec, but that's pushing it.

dewbries

posted on 17/3/16 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks again BaileyPerformance.

Never intending going anywhere near the figures you work with in regards to BHP, might hit 200 if im lucky and my numbers come up.

Gone down this route because of the colplete package nature of the engine and box I picked up and have been able t sell loads of stuff to fund the change dew to the damage I found. How on earth, and when it happened I have no idea but in sort the gear box ended up hold on by the skin of its teeth.

All good advise and thanks will keep it in mind.

BaileyPerformance

posted on 17/3/16 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
If we can help with anything let me know.

We are very popular in the MX5 tuning world :-)

velocitykendal

posted on 23/3/16 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dewbries
might hit 200 if im lucky and my numbers come up.

So you're planning the supercharge or turbo it then?

dewbries

posted on 24/3/16 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
No velocitykendal just getting it back on the road for now in a running state.

velocitykendal

posted on 24/3/16 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Are we talking about the mk 1/2 1.6 or 1.8 engine? If so you won't get anywhere near 200bhp, even with headwork, cams and ITBs. You'd be lucky to get into the 160s. The Zetec is a much better platform for getting towards 200 naturally aspirated. This is why forced induction is so popular amongst those with MX5 engines, they don't respond particularly well to n/a tuning AKAIK.
dewbries

posted on 27/3/16 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Was considering eventually going down the blower route but money is running out with the other mod's i am doing. Just going to settle for standard set up this summer, want to get back out on the road again. The car's mainly been in the garage for a couple of years (other projects on the go like a 5 month stint walking 1700 miles around Britain).

I'm now more concerned as to wether my fuel pump is up to injection, solid state Facet pump and how to get return into tank without having to remove the thing and weld new connection. Was thinking feeding in through filler pipe.

VelocityKendal where you based is your name a give away?

dewbries

posted on 27/3/16 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
It"s a Mk1 1.8ltr.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.