New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: 360 deg camera?
Andy D

posted on 23/3/16 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
360 deg camera?

How is this possible??

geoff shep

posted on 23/3/16 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Yes - more and more of them available from budget versions to v expensive. Watch it on a tablet or smartphone and it really comes to life.

[Edited on 23/3/16 by geoff shep]

[Edited on 23/3/16 by geoff shep]

Andy D

posted on 23/3/16 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by geoff shep
Yes - more and more of them available from budget versions to v expensive. Watch it on a tablet or smartphone and it really comes to life.

tis clever stuff. He mentions in the text it's best viewed on a phone etc, on my PC it tends to wander around doing it's own thing.

nick205

posted on 23/3/16 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
No idea of the kit required to do it, but it is impressive to play with. I'd imagine it's not cheap to do, but then I really don't know what's involved.

geoff shep

posted on 23/3/16 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Are you able to pan round and see all angles - only ask as it doesn't work in all browsers. But try it on a tablet if you can, you can move it around and see a different view as if you were there moving your head around.

The reason it jumps about is not because of the 360 but he must have it on a dangly mount so it swings out on all the corners.

geoff shep

posted on 23/3/16 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
From 'cheap' like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ricoh-Theta-Degree-Digital-Camera/dp/B00OZCM70K

to a lot more like this http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/action-cameras/index.page - and a bit of software.

If you like that, try this on a tablet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdZ02-Qenso

Andy D

posted on 23/3/16 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
On a PC you can control the view direction using the little control box top left on screen. But it's only half in control. I've seen one before on someone's phone.. very impressive.
tegwin

posted on 23/3/16 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
I'm using a 360 rig for work at the moment attached to a drone... It's basically 6 go pros and a plastic holder. The challenge is stiching it all together afterwards accounting for all the shake and movement.

The pro cameras with synchronized global shutters and built in stiching are around £60k

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

loggyboy

posted on 23/3/16 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
The ricoh theta is under £200, but will only do 3 mins.
The Theta S is £300 (high st prices) and will do 25 mins. which is the model used for the locost video.
They dont need any stitching or 3rd party software.

[Edited on 23-3-16 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

Johneturbo

posted on 23/3/16 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Good 360 video, shame about the wind noise!
steve m

posted on 23/3/16 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
I felt sick watching that!

its not for me

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

tweek

posted on 24/3/16 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Nikon are also coming out with a 4K one soon: Nikon KeyMission 360

While the overall resolution is high I'm not convinced by the fuzziness in the direction you actually look at. Definitely an interesting idea, but I don't think the tech is ready just yet.

"oh dear..." said god,
"I hadn't thought of that"
and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic

loggyboy

posted on 24/3/16 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tweek
Nikon are also coming out with a 4K one soon: Nikon KeyMission 360

While the overall resolution is high I'm not convinced by the fuzziness in the direction you actually look at. Definitely an interesting idea, but I don't think the tech is ready just yet.

I think he has angled the camera so the main lens are orientated at him (and to left), meaning when you look to front and rear of car (main views) its in the the area where the 2 lens join the picture. If he had orientated it 90degrees so the cameras face front and rear the view would likely be better when viewing the principle directions.

Also the wonky viewing angle when viewing on a desktop appears to related to the gyroscopic forces, i wonder if there's an option to turn that off.

[Edited on 24-3-16 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.