Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Upgrading from Windows XP
John P

posted on 28/3/16 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Upgrading from Windows XP

My daughter got a PC from her work (It's a Dell Optiplex 755) which seems to work fine but is currently running Windows XP.

We'd like to upgrade to Windows 7 or possibly Windows 10 (I believe if we go for Windows 7 you can then get a free upgrade to Windows 10).

On e-bay there seem to be many people selling Windows 7 such as:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium License key 1 License + Boot USB - 64 bit

Anyone used these companies? Is there anything I need to be aware of?

John.

BenTyreman

posted on 28/3/16 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
For that price, almost guaranteed to be a pirate copy. Not saying it won't work but you might have problems in the future.

Also you need to check that the PC meets the minimum specs for 64bit 7 or 10. Minimum of 2GB of RAM is needed and you might have problems getting drivers. You might find that it's painfully slow with a modern OS on it.

chillis

posted on 28/3/16 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Microsoft stopped supplying Win7 in 2014 so whats around now are spare licences or bootleg copies.
Check with microsoft as they may let you do a free win 10 upgrade but a win xp machine probably doesn't have the spec to run win 10 - memory is usually the issue. especially 64bit which will want 4gb.
Personally I don't like win 8 & 10 and I now use linux mint which fly's on xp spec machines.

[Edited on 28/3/16 by chillis]

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

Wheels244

posted on 28/3/16 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
I would stick with Windows 7 - my laptop was running it very happily, I kept getting messages to to upgrade to Windows 10 which I eventually did.
It has effectively wrecked my laptop. I'm going to reinstall Windows 7 when I buy a new copy of it. (This message is sent from iPad due to laptop not working)

Build Blog: http://wheels244.wordpress.com/

Slimy38

posted on 28/3/16 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Windows 10 isn't officially supported on that PC (I'd send you a link but the one I found is so bogged down with ads it's almost impossible to read). However, it might still be worth a go, bearing in mind that you have 90 days to uninstall it if you want.

I've found that most XP machines can run 7, as it's not an overly bloated OS. One laptop ran better with 7. Main thing is as mentioned the memory. I'm not commenting on Windows 10, they might as well have called it Windows Marmite.

I don't believe that ad is a pirate copy, it mentions it being an OEM version on a destroyed laptop. It's not strictly complying with Microsoft terms and conditions, but it'll work fine as long as it's not already been activated on the dead laptop. If you do go for it, try the 10 upgrade and it fails, open a case with Ebay.

britishtrident

posted on 28/3/16 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Windows 10 is a disaster. Keep Xp as long as you can, that is until hardware requirements force an upgrade.

If you are foolish enough to load it when you install don't create a Microsoft account use a local account login as this makes recovery from a lost account profile much easier.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

MikeRJ

posted on 28/3/16 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Windows 10 is a disaster.

Apart from the privacy concerns I've found Windows 10 64 bit to be absolutely rock solid. It boots extremely quickly (unlike Windows 7) and so far I've had no significant compatibility issues - I'm even running Visual Basic 6 with no problems.

That said I'm still using the start menu replacement I bought when I had windows 8 (Start8) so I don't have to go anywhere near the stupid tiles.

hizzi

posted on 28/3/16 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
xp machine will go to seven ok, probably not 10 and the free upgrade is only 8 to 10
Slimy38

posted on 28/3/16 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hizzi
xp machine will go to seven ok, probably not 10 and the free upgrade is only 8 to 10

No it's not, I never went near 8. All of my 7 licences got the free upgrade direct to 10.

jeffw

posted on 28/3/16 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Windows 10 is a disaster.

Complete nonsense. Windows 10 is fine, better than Win 7 or XP. If you don't like the start menu, simple install Classic Shell.

theconrodkid

posted on 28/3/16 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hi jack this thread but i am thinking of getting a new compo,i can get one for a good price but with no O/S,can i get one of these "progs" and install it ?.did this with my current machine as i had the original CD from my previous one

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Slimy38

posted on 29/3/16 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
Is this of any use to you;

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/windows-8-1-pro-can-upgrade-windows-10-pro-16-07-play-asia-2421597

A little cheaper, and (hopefully) a little more 'legit'.

loggyboy

posted on 29/3/16 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
I have gone over to 10 at home in last few months. Still prefer 7 which I use at work. On the right PC 7 is better than XP. I'm not convinced by 10 at the moment as its a reasonable change in look and feel over 7 but it seems fairly quick and stable so I have no bones about using it. At the end of the day any difference may feel alien at first, but you need to get used to it, as you get what your given when it comes to OS's.

Mistral Motorsport

nick205

posted on 29/3/16 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
As you have XP (and assuming it works OK) I'd leave well alone and stick with it. I run Win7 on my work and home laptops (they came with it) and it's fine. I would point out that on my work laptop I've added memory, now at 8gb - that may help it run faster. It boots fine and seems stable, but as I say it's what both laptops came with and I've no reason to change.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.