Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zafira losing power on the motorway
smart51

posted on 1/4/16 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Zafira losing power on the motorway

My inlaws have come down to help us move house. They had a bit of bother with their car losing power on the motorway. They pulled into the inside lane, slowed down to 50 and it was alright. Its a 2003 1.6 petrol with 115,000 miles.

I've had a quick look. There's plenty of fuel. The air intake looks sound. It starts straight away and idles smoothly, though it sounds like you're shaking an empty spray can. It revs cleanly at fast idle. Any ideas what it might be? I might take the spark plugs out and have a look.

adithorp

posted on 1/4/16 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Could be a lot of things but... I'd be suspicious of a blocked exhaust. Can be either a silencer that the internals have collapsed or a cat' monolith thats broken up and wedged itself in the outlet pipe (I've seen them that have rattled about until theres just a ball left thats a perfect fit in the pipe).

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

jps

posted on 1/4/16 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
I used to have a Citroen C3 (albeit diesel) which would suddenly go 'gutless' sometimes. I think it was down to a DPF problem that then told the ECU to cut the power, which I think then stopped the turbo working - i.e. it went into a sort of 'limp home' mode.

Obviously those components aren't relevant to your case, but is it also possible it's a 'limp home' mode kicking in?

britishtrident

posted on 1/4/16 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Could be a few things including a choked or restricted fuel line
The restricted exhaust is easy to check provided the upstream lambda sensor will unscrew OK -- take the sensor out and start the engine, if at 2000 rpm it just about blows your head off the exhaust is blocked.

However ISTR these have a MAF sensor, OK at idle but loss of power when the throttled is opened is a sign of a contaminated MAF.
The proper way of testing is look at the air flow grams/s in obd live data when the throttle is snapped open or look at the output with an oscilloscope.
The rough and ready test is simply disconnect the MAF and see if the power improves, however this will throw up fault codes and may not work on this model.
Most MAF sensors can be cleaned

[Edited on 1/4/16 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

smart51

posted on 1/4/16 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. I plugged in my OBD tester and found and O2 sensor fault, a cam sensor circuit fault and an EGR flow fault. I'm not going to be able to fix it with spanners and gaffer tape.
rusty nuts

posted on 1/4/16 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Have you checked the oil level? , had a customers car that kept going into limp home due to low oil level causing the knock sensor to detect a knock . It had been to a couple of garages that didn't spot it
smart51

posted on 1/4/16 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Have you checked the oil level? , had a customers car that kept going into limp home due to low oil level causing the knock sensor to detect a knock . It had been to a couple of garages that didn't spot it

That's an interesting one. There was enough oil in it. It's over due a service, they said. They might get a bigger bill than they were expecting.

Toprivetguns

posted on 1/4/16 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
MAF sensor is a common culprit.

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

big-vee-twin

posted on 2/4/16 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
Had exactly the same with a dirty fuel filter, replaced it issue gone.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

turbodisplay

posted on 2/4/16 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
2nd fuel filter as a posibility.
Had a deisel that had that problem, the flow at higher speed/power could not be met by the filter.

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.