Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rear plastic bumper repair
Mikef

posted on 3/4/16 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
rear plastic bumper repair

Hi All.

Quite ok at body work and painting etc, but have a rear plastic bumper that a bollard has driven into and it has raised part of the surface,I have bumper filler for the other damaged bit but have never dealt with raised area, its probably about 5mm proud, would it be ok to warm it with a heat gun to push down then fill? If not how would you normally deal with this sort of damage?

David Jenkins

posted on 3/4/16 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikef
... but have a rear plastic bumper that a bollard has driven into ...

Damn bollards - can't trust them to drive properly!

Mikef

posted on 3/4/16 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
It's just amazing they way they come right at you. Thats my story and I am sticking to it.
Rosco

posted on 4/4/16 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
Read Bumper Repair

I had a similar thing reverse into me last year and did quite a bit of damage to the plastic bumper on my Volvo. I fixed it by removing the bumper and with the combination of a blow torch to warm it up, and a bowl of cold water and a sponge to cool it down managed to push out the damage and reshape it. You have to look very closely to see there's been a repair and I saved the cost of a new bumper and paint job.

I applied the blow torch carefully to the rear of the bumper to avoid damaging the paint. Obvious, but it's plastic so you must avoid localised heat - keep the torch moving.
As soon as the plastic started to go a little soft I pushed it into shape with my hand or pieces of wood and then used water to cool it on the outside.
It took a good hour, working a bit at a time, but the result are surprisingly good.

I had a fair bit of damage but removing the bumper gives you access to both sides and makes the job much easier. If unsure how to remove you bumper try Google - 5 bolts and 5 mins work on the Volvo.

Mikef

posted on 4/4/16 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Brill . Many thanks, its not that bad so a will get a heat gun on it.
britishtrident

posted on 4/4/16 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Domestic clothes iron can also be useful --- not too hot use an old tea towel between the iron and the bumper and warm the plastic slowly to let the heat go through full thickness.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

owelly

posted on 4/4/16 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
A Cornish wall bumped the plastic bumper of our hire van whilst it was manoeuvring. A few kettles of boiling water softened it enough for it to be pushed back into shape.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.