Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electric power steering pump, how does it work?
Mr Whippy

posted on 18/4/16 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Electric power steering pump, how does it work?

Hi,

I’ve been looking around the web and seeing electric power steering pumps for very little money, I’m doing another P/S conversion on an old Landy and the last time mounting the mechanical belt driven pump was a total massive pain since they never had one as standard and mounting positions are very poor.

So these pumps, do they need a signal from something like in the steering column telling them when to come on or are the just running all the time much as the mechanical pump does.

If it just runs all the time then this would be a fantastic and so much easier to fit. Is there any particular version that people would recommend? (the cheaper and simpler the better tbh)

I’m again using a range rover P38 steering box and a 90 column. Was going to use a Shogun pump on the 2 ¼ petrol but would like to avoid that if possible.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dinosaurjuice

posted on 18/4/16 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
The Ford 'EPAS' electro-hydraulic pumps are sent commands over CANBUS so probably best avoided.

Lots of info on the net about Fiat and Vauxhall electric steering columns, easiest solution i think.

Will

coozer

posted on 18/4/16 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
I have hear an electric pass pump and rack off an old Peugeot 106.

It looks like an electric pump replacing a hydro one..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

rusty nuts

posted on 18/4/16 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at the Vauxhall Astra G electric power steering pump from around 1998 onwards , I suspect that it would work using a relay activated by the alternator to supply power when the engine is running . Power steering doesn't work on the Astra unless the alternator is charging . Found mounted low down just behind the gearbox .

[Edited on 18/4/16 by rusty nuts]

blakep82

posted on 18/4/16 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
200 or 300tdi engine conversion from a disco, with the steering box, oil reservoir and pipes also out of it?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

owelly

posted on 18/4/16 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Takeba looksy at the Vauxhall Corsa EPAS. It's an all electric unit built into the column. I used one from a WagonR/Agila.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 19/4/16 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
200 or 300tdi engine conversion from a disco, with the steering box, oil reservoir and pipes also out of it?

thanks but the engines are totally different and the older engines are not great for mounting pumps too

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/4/16 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Have a look at the Vauxhall Astra G electric power steering pump from around 1998 onwards , I suspect that it would work using a relay activated by the alternator to supply power when the engine is running . Power steering doesn't work on the Astra unless the alternator is charging . Found mounted low down just behind the gearbox .

[Edited on 18/4/16 by rusty nuts]

Thanks yeah this does look like it will do the trick and very cheap too. Been looking at the wiring diagrams and it looks a doddle wish I'd used this the last time.

omega 24 v6

posted on 19/4/16 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
Scott. The corsa is prob the way to go, but,any I have seen on rally cars are equiped with a little control box and a variable sensor mounted to the dash ( poss just a variable pot) I believe they are widely available.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

dinosaurjuice

posted on 19/4/16 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
CBS do a controller for less than £50 http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/corsa-power-steering-controller
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 19/4/16 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Astra G around 1998 - avoid unless you've got the Vauxhall (not recalled but should have been) replacement.

I had one, the replacement pump cost nearly a 1k as you also got a steering rack, pipes and electrics - ie the whole blooming lot.

owelly

posted on 19/4/16 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
The Vauxhall EPAS I used is very simple to wire up. A fat +ve and a fat -ve. Thin cables for the rpm sensor and speed sensor. The unit does nowt until it sees a rpm signal to know the engine is running. The unit has three levels of assistance. Maximum when there is no speed signal and minimum when there's a fast signal.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.