Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec; 1800 is more revvy then the 2.0L ?
dhutch

posted on 18/4/16 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec; 1800 is more revvy then the 2.0L ?

This is something that often gets said.

I have read a few threads, and ultimately am yet to come to a conclusion.

The car is used mainly for autotesting and fast road use, so while power is nice, driveability is I guess the king.

Likely also ditching the dellortos for bikecarbs as the former do no appear to like being thrown about.

Daniel

r1_pete

posted on 19/4/16 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
Its something that has always been said,

i.e.

The Essex 2.5L V6 was always said to be revier and sweeter than the 3.0L

The 1300 XFlow compared to the 1600

But obviously the bigger engine has more cubes = more power, or less stressed for the same power but at different revs.

As for the 1.8 vs 2.0L Zetec, the same is true, but much less difference,

Put a 1.8 flywheel on a 2.0 and I doubt you'd find the 1.8 discernably more eager to rev than the 2.0.

Its all down to reciprocating mass, less = more revvy.

I would think the 2.0 with a light flywheel would be the way to go, more low down torque for drivability, but slightly lighter internals will let it rev out quicker.

Yes, side draught Weber Solex and Delorto's don't seem to like extreme chucking about, I think its down to their relatively wide but shallow float bowls letting the fuel slosh away from the jets, a set of 40mm bike carbs would be a much better setup IMO.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 19/4/16 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
The 2.0L engine has a heavier flywheel than the 1.8L, though neither are particularly light.
dhutch

posted on 19/4/16 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
Past threads suggest that if both are stock, the 2l will put put maybe 10-15 more bhp, and 'putting 2l cams in the 1800' will bring that down to maybe 5-10 difference. At which point if the 1800 is easier to fit that (?) that is likely not enough to worry about.

Everything is vague, and reading past threads it not always clear if people are comparing like for like, or even if they are talking about the silvertop or blacktop.
- I understand the 1800 silvertop has waterpump going the right way, and this can be used on the 2l silvertop, but all blacktops are the wrong way so you just belt it such that it works that way anyway.
- I understand that the blacktops have solid lifters rather than hydro, which I guess makes changing the cam more work, but is otherwise a good thing as it removes any issue of the lifters causing problems?
- I have also had it suggested the blacktop has a stronger bottom end, but I am not sure if this is true.

Given the blacktop is newer, simply from the point of finding plausible donors, or new 'crate' engine this seems to make more sense going forward given we are already in 2016.

I think I am discounting the ST170 engine, and the Duratech is right out, time is not on my side and I dont want to move the exhaust side.

Ignition will be from a megajolt carried over from the cvh, presumably off the flywheel sensor.

Daniel

[Edited on 20/4/2016 by dhutch]

02GF74

posted on 20/4/16 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete

The 1300 XFlow compared to the 1600

1300 has shorter stroke so can spin faster for same forces on rod end/piston.

dhutch

posted on 20/4/16 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
The 2.0L engine has a heavier flywheel than the 1.8L, though neither are particularly light.

Is that case for the blacktop as well as the silvertop? Is it significantly different?

As the car doesnt really go on track, mainly the autotesting and fast-road use I am expect some weight is a good thing, certainly I dont think I would go for a superlight steel one even if money was no object.

Daniel

SJ

posted on 20/4/16 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
I've had both 1.8 and 2.0 Blacktops and though it was knackered the 1.8 revved a bit more sweetly but wasn't quicker to rev. Both used the same cvh flywheel which is a lot lighter than any standard Zetec fly.

Stu

dhutch

posted on 21/4/16 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
I've had both 1.8 and 2.0 Blacktops and though it was knackered the 1.8 revved a bit more sweetly but wasn't quicker to rev. Both used the same cvh flywheel which is a lot lighter than any standard Zetec fly.

What exactly do you mean by 'more sweetly' if I might ask, if nots its time to get there or back down?

Is this the trick where you have to machine the holes in the flywheel out from 10mm to 11mm or something? How much did that cost you?

Daniel

dhutch

posted on 21/4/16 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
I have also had suggestion that 8v gives better bottom end Torque than a 16v, which is a bonus in terms of choosing an engine for autotesting.

What is the forums consensus of this nugget? Obviously this a 1600cvh vs a blacktop. Cams aside.

Daniel

SJ

posted on 22/4/16 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

quote: Originally posted by SJ I've had both 1.8 and 2.0 Blacktops and though it was knackered the 1.8 revved a bit more sweetly but wasn't quicker to rev. Both used the same cvh flywheel which is a lot lighter than any standard Zetec fly. What exactly do you mean by 'more sweetly' if I might ask, if nots its time to get there or back down? Is this the trick where you have to machine the holes in the flywheel out from 10mm to 11mm or something? How much did that cost you? Daniel

Hi Daniel

What I mean is that it was a bit smoother.

The holes in the CVH flywheel did need opening up. I did mine with an 11mm drill bit.

Stu

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.