Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX12R SPEED SENSOR WIRING
Flick

posted on 18/4/16 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
ZX12R SPEED SENSOR WIRING

Hi
Have a 02/03 zx12r engine that im just stripping the loom down for a car.
Aftermarket dash will be used
basically im a bit stuck when ive got to the speed sensor wiring. was just going to remove the whole lot but it has a yellow wire which runs to the ecu so im guessing it will throw some sort of limp home or restriction up if i do.

Ive looked at an old post on here from a zzr1400 install which i think might be similar

The yellow wire runs from the speed sensor to the ecu and clocks.
Pink wire speed sensor just to the clocks.
black yellow speed sensor to ground.

im guessing the pink wire is the voltage supply from the original clocks and yellow is the pulse.

Do i have to keep the speed sensor or is there a way round this?

If I do have to keep it, will this solution work

pink to switched supply through fixed voltage regulator at 9v or 10v ( ts7809cz or ts7810cz).
simulate pick up (for yellow to ecu) with four magnets glued to sprocket adaptor and move speed sensor accordingly.

Any help appreciated
Thanks

russbost

posted on 19/4/16 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
If it's the same as ZZR1400, which i think it is, then unless you want to keep the clocks & use the existing speed sensor then you can simply ditch it, that's exactly what we do with the Furore as we use an Acewell dash & speed sensor.

IIRC if you keep the clocks & speed sensor then you can run into problems if your gearing is lower than the bikes as it will limit speed in top gear, however in that instance the speedo would also be wrong anyway

Pretty sure Andy Bates or Malc Curnin at Yorkshire engines would be able to confirm

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Andy B

posted on 19/4/16 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately the yellow wire on the early 12's only feeds the clocks on early bikes but later on it goes to the ecu as well (as you have) the ecu needs to see an input from it to achieve full power. Not a big problem but I am fairly certain that the bike uses this to cap top speed and when using different gearing and wheels in a car this cap can seriously affect performance. I remember John Cutmore encountering said problem early days in the RGB Spire GTR 12 powered car - might be worth ringing Paul at Spire to see what they did about it as I cant for the life of me remeber their solution
Hope that helps
Andy

Flick

posted on 19/4/16 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys
Ill give Paul and Malc a ring tomorrow just to check.

Andy, u2u, need some info regarding blade.

Regards

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.